A Remedy for Ants in the Hummingbird Feeder

Since summer is here, I'm sure a lot of people have hummingbird feeders. Well here's an idea of how to keep ants out. If you have the feeder hanging from a small pole, go out and buy the sticky paper that catches flies and wrap it around the pole. It works great. You could also use contact paper, it is much prettier. Just put the paper on with the sticky side out. No more ants.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN

More Answers:

A great idea. I'm going to try it (06/20/2007)

By Doris Goehring

I agree with the post about being careful with using Vaseline. I know it's said to be dangerous for use around birds - gums up their feathers if they brush against it and it's also not healthy for them to get on their feet or accidentally to eat some. I would be DOUBLY careful with anything sticky used on or around the pole. Hummers weigh less than some bugs and could easily become stuck and injure themselves trying to get free or become panicked and die from fright. The water barriers are said to really work pretty well. I wish you luck outsmarting those ants! (06/20/2007)

By bd

I found a dab of Vaseline on the hanger works great also. (06/20/2007)

By okscooter

I live in south western Spain and have a big problem with ants as does everyone in south western Spain. Across the road from me is a little Spanish man called Manolito who has always worked the earth. He came into my garden and wrapped old t shirts around the trunks of all my fruit trees ( oranges, lemons, apple, pears and figs) and then painted everything with old, used cooking oil. About 6 inches up from the t shirt and then soaked the t shirt and then all the way down to the ground. He told me to renew this about once a week with old cooking oil. I have done this and, VOILA! it works! The ants don't like it and mainly the snails don't like it either. (06/22/2007)

By Sue Whelan

Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
HummingbirdFeeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
🎉
🎄