A Remedy for Ants in the Hummingbird Feeder

I hung a hummingbird feeder last year, no problem. I hung one this year and the ants took it over. Any suggestions?

Sandie from Morganton, NC

Answers:

Do a search for Ant-Off by Artline. They sell a bell that the feeder hangs from. Put Vaseline inside the bell. This will not harm the hummingbirds. Just hang your feeder on a longer line. I've used it 2 summers now and never have an ant problem.

Hope this helps with your problem (07/31/2007)

By maggie3956

RE: A Remedy for Ants in the Hummingbird Feeder

Editor's Note: See ornithologist's caution below.

Tried Vaseline and gear oil and almost everything else. They all failed. My feeder is off a hanger on the porch, I used Terro liquid on the ant path, within a week and a half the ants were gone, dead. No more ants in my house either. Great stuff. (08/02/2007)

By mcmillan968

I had a terrible problem with ants in my hummingbird feeders, so checked all the helpful suggestions here and found the bay leaves to be the best. I have several feeders that were constantly full of ants and now - none. I tied two bay leaves each to the top string of feeders and have no more problems.
Thanks. (08/12/2007)

By Rhonda

I put a little bit of oil on the top of the hummingbird feeder or you can put it on the hook that the hummingbird feeder is hanging from. I haven't seen any ants on it. (08/21/2007)

By doubletroubletammy

We found that coating the hanger and top of feeder with Vicks Vaporub is very, very effective way to keep ants out of our hummingbird feeder. (09/02/2007)

By Shirley B.

No grease, Vaseline or anything sticky should ever be exposed around a hummingbird feeder. Even if you do not think or see that a hummer has come in contact with it, it may have. The bird will fly off, try desperately to groom itself, expend valuable energy and become stressed. Consequences are that it is sure mortality.
(06/12/2008)

By Guest Ornithologist

Another use for DUCT TAPE. I put duct tape on the pole that holds the hummingbird feeder. I simply wrap the tape inside out, it sticks to itself and the ants stick to it. I only put it 10-12 inches up the pole so there is no way the birds can touch the sticky tape. It lasts quite some time. (08/06/2008)

By Verna

Hang the feeder with monafilament fishing line. Ants can't get to feeder, works great. (08/28/2008)

By lovebirds

Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
HummingbirdFeeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
🎉
🎄