Above Ground Pool Has Very Cloudy Water

We have a 24 foot above ground pool. We have put lots of chemicals in it, but is still very cloudy and milky. All testing is showing up fine. What can we do?

By Karen

There are chemicals you can buy that clarify the water, and will clear up the cloudiness. Ask the folks where you buy your pool chemicals and they should be able to help you.

You should take a sample of the pool water to the pool store where you purchase your chemicals. They can test your water sample, and determine exactly what is needed to correct your pool's water. Most pool dealers are glad to help with correcting the water. They sure don't want a customer to be unhappy and unable to use their pool!

Do you have a sand filter or paper filter? Is the filter clean? Do you use chlorine or non chlorine? We use Baquacil and they sell an item called "flocculant" that makes the small particles clump together to be filtered out. It cleared ours up. Ask your dealer.

We tried everything listed above, but in the end we had to replace our sand filter with a larger one. Ours was about 35 years old and the previous owners had damaged it. The water cleared right up with the proper filter.

My husband used to build pools and we have a 27 foot above ground, he says try 5 or 6 bags of super shock.

Hey Karen,

I own a pool company named Acumen Integrated LLC. I reviewed your post and seems to me your pool is giving you quite a headache! I understand chemicalization and balancing can be stressful and expensive. Here are a few suggestions I recommend:

First, assuming you have a sand filter, backwash and rinse. Check the filter pump basket and empty out and debris. Keep an eye on the basket for cracks, and the gasket is in good condition.

Second, test the pool with a strip that tests Hardness, Free and Total Chlorine, Alkalinity, Ph, and Cynuric Acid.

(The comment you made about the pool surface stain could be from the imbalance of your Hardness, which can be aggressive. Stains could be from a low reading. Therefore, you need Calcium Chloride, I suggest a Metal Sequestering Agent.)

Third, I recommend buying Phosfloc. It combines the small particles and dirt and drops everything to the bottom of the surface. You just Vacuum after 24 hours on Waste. Your Ph level must be balanced before using this product.

The steps you took were great, weather and foliage might have added to your pool problems. I hope this post helps! Good Luck!

Gina Groglio

acumenintegrated AT gmail.com

Have a above ground pool. 3600 gallon of water . Put up couple of months ago. Has small pump that came with it. For a week now we haven't swim on it because of cloudy and milky looking can't see bottom. Tested water from pool store,added chemicals saw no results. Had water retested said ph balance was good. No change what so ever in cloudy water. Help:(

We just changed sand 3 day later it looks a lot better but cloudy

Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pools and Hot TubsMay 28, 2011
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
A blue above ground swimming pool.
Cleaning an Above Ground Pool
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool