Acne Face Wash Advice

What is the best acne face wash? I don't want to buy anything to expensive, but I want something that works. I have oily skin, but my skin can also become very dry at times. I need something that can deep clean my pores and prevent break outs.

Shell from Canada

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I use a generic type of Cetaphil. It's very gentle and great for oily or dry skin. I use witch hazel as a toner and no moisturizer. This seems to have cleared up my skin and tightened my pores. If I feel that I need to exfoliate, I add a little baking soda to the Cetaphil in the palm of my hand and mix it together before I wash my face. It works great. Try my method for a week and see if it works for you. It's cheaper than any skin care regime on the market and pretty natural. Good luck. (06/06/2006)

By mckaysatt

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

When my kids were younger they all had acne. My doctor told them to take vitamin E, and zinc tablets. Check with you doctor or health food store for recommended dosage. It took about a month to see any difference, but the acne almost disappeared. (06/06/2006)

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I clean my face with baking soda and use antiseptic mouth wash to rinse with. That has helped clear up the breakouts I have. (06/06/2006)

By lighthouselady

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I just use Noxzema to wash my face, but I use Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne treatment on my zits. It is not quite $5 a tube and works excellently on my skin (which sounds like yours!). Hope it works for you. (06/06/2006)

By crys7881

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

My mom gave me this tip; use something like Maalox and let it dry on your face then rinse off. It keeps my skin great. I get it cheaper by buying the generic. (06/06/2006)

By meoowmom

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

We all (2 teens & 1 adult) have oily skin and hair, too. We use Neutrogena Deep Cleaning for a face wash (it comes in a pump and a little goes a long way) and generic 10% benzoyl peroxide to dry up individual bumps. We also use Suave Clarifying Shampoo. It cleans the oiliest hair very well and is really cheap. (06/06/2006)

By Cheryl from MO

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

My dermatologist used to have me use Ivory soap, but they changed their formula years ago and he had me switch to Dial. Now I use Neutrogena Deep pore cleanser (or Dial). I then use Clean and Clear, an astringent that has salicylic acid in it, which helps to prevent future acne. I use the strongest one, as my skin is very oily, but they have 2 strengths you can choose from. Good luck. (06/06/2006)

By Dede

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I second the Cetaphil, and I'd suggest using a clay-type mask a couple times a week to clean out your pores and help dry up the oil. Neutrogena makes one called Deep Clean Invigorating Cleanser/Mask. You can use it as either a cleanser or mask, but I find it a bit drying for every day (makes me itchy). I use it a couple times a week as a mask and I love it. Toners also help to close pores on a freshly washed face (but so can doing a final rinse with cold water).

Wash with gentle cleanser, tone, treat with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide over entire face (not just spots and 2.5% is just as effective, but gentler than 10%), and moisturize.

That's my routine. Always use a moisturizer. If your face lacks moisture, it will secrete more oil to compensate. Neutrogena Oil-Free daily moisturizer is great, it's gentle and not greasy. (SPF 15, too!) (06/07/2006)

By Marisa

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I use Serious Skin Care Glycolic formula. You can get it at: It is wonderful for all sorts of skin and comes in various formulations. A large bottle lasts a long time, so don't be scared by the price. If you leave it on for a few extra minutes you get a free 'peel' because of the glycolic acid. (06/07/2006)

By Holly

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

Try using ordinary tea tree oil on affected areas applied with cotton wool, if your cheeks and forehead get a bit dry just use a little bit of moisturiser. I had the same problem and I have very few zits (09/24/2006)

By aussiegirl

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I Use Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub and it works great. I've used witch hazel and it also does the job. My daily routine is:

1. wash face
  2. pat dry
  3. put witch hazel on with a cotton wool-ball

Try this method for 2 weeks and see if you see a difference. If not then try PHsohex (PHsohex is a anti-bacterial wash which you can use 2-3 time daily, your local chemist should sell it for $6-10 dollars. (AUST) (10/23/2006)

By Jake

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

Try medicated apricot scrub with salicylic acid. Also try 10% benzoyl peroxide cream over the affected area. I find both these items in my local big-box retailer under the Equate generic name.

Be sure to wash your face morning and evening. Moisturize with a fragrance-free moisturizer only on the dry spots. I recommend daily sunscreen use too. Use an oil-free variety. (10/23/2006)

By ShellR

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

Serious Skin Care Acne Wash not only clears acne, but even whiteheads. I use in conjunction with Glycolic Daily Ritual Cleanser. The "Stay Clear" moisturizing cream fights breakouts and wrinkles. The Super Hydrate moisturizes are for adolescents and those with super oily skin. They can be found at under Serious Skin Care. I have been using these products for 12 years. (08/01/2007)

By pls751

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I used baking soda and Neutrogena oil free acne wash (the orange-colored stuff). I'm serious it will dry up those pimples! You can make as much as you want, I usually do equal parts. If you need something for overnight, dab a little of the mixture on before bed. For acne scars use Neosporin at night. Oh and you can get the off brand of Neutrogena. I do recommend Arm & Hammer baking soda because it is the strongest and purest of all the others. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

Avon has a few very good cleansers, not too costly. Plus, plain soap (Ivory) and water is the best thing to wash your face with. (11/11/2007)

By NeldaW

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I think Spectro jel with a 5% topical cream really helps the pimples. It works for me. (11/15/2007)

By Willie

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

Aloe vera works, if you rub a very small amount on your skin, and use a shampoo specialized shampoo for oily hair. (12/02/2007)

By r

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I use this stuff called Squeaky Clean face wash that I bought from: and like it a lot. It dried up my acne and I've noticed my face doesn't get as oily as fast. I've been using it for about a month now and like it a lot. (02/24/2008)

By eyeshadowdiva

RE: Acne Face Wash Advice

I only recommend this treatment for women. Birth control has worked wonderfully for me because it balances out your hormones to prevent breakouts. (08/19/2008)

By Kelsey

Try scrubbing your face with Johnson's baby shampoo. It works great for oily skin.

Woman washing her face.
Acne Face Wash Advice
A girl popping a pimple.
What Causes Acne?
Someone using an acne cleansing pad on their face.
Homemade Oxy Cleansing Pads Recipes
Woman applying acne cream to her face.
Homemade Acne Cream Recipes
Teenager Holding His Hair Up to Show Acne on Forehead
Acne Remedies