Activities for Middle Aged Nursing Home Residents

Man with grey beard painting on an easel
Nursing home residents are of different ages and capabilities. Activities can help keep your loved one engaged and active. This is a guide about activities for middle aged nursing home residents.

My husband is 52 and recently went to live in a care facility. I visit him everyday and he is depressed because he is lacking stimulation. I need any ideas on activities he can do at the home. Any suggestions? He is capable of using all limbs and has good sight and dexterity.

By Jessie S from NC

All great ideas. And MartyD...the Crochet Dude would love to add another "dude" to his list of crocheters! Ancient fishermen used to do the rudimentary finger hooking for making nets, so it really did start out with them!

Crafts of any kind are wonderful therapy, esp' when you can, like you said, sell or give them away. Cards are also good. I am never without a deck of cards for those times when I have the opportunity to do nothing but think and play.

He could listen to audio books, and ask others to join him in listening, too. It could be like the movies we would pay .5 for in junior high and we got to watch 20 minutes of a movie. It made the anticipation of the next day something to look forward to. Plants are also wonderful things, as it gives the person something to care for.

I take large kid's size puzzle pieces and make frames and other crafts out of them. It's fun to create something from something else.

https://www.goo … aqi=g4&pbx=1

The above is what I got when I googled crafts from puzzle pieces and there are lots of ideas.

Making the bird houses is great. But I have an idea that is along those lines and safer. You can get them already done at the local dollar stores and craft supply stores. With a bit of sanding and some decals or paint, your items can be proudly displayed in a gift shop.

I hope these help. I am sending a link to the crochet dude's site. Good luck!

http://blog.thecrochetdude.com/

Hello!

I am a dance/movement therapist and have been doing my final internship at a nursing home, so I thought I would share some things that I have learned.

MUSIC. Music is a great way to lift spirits without lifting much else. If he is willing and able to move/dance, great! Expressive movement is great for strengthening weak areas, increasing circulation, and feels good for both body and emotions!

It sounds like he is there for rehab, since most people in nursing homes are at the end stages of life. Nursing homes are not very soothing environments, so he might feel VERY uncomfortable surrounded by people who are much older, and much sicker than he is right now.

Most of the interventions that I have learned that work best are geared for elders and problems specific to aging such as lack of internal motivation, so none of them feel right for a young/middle aged man....

I would focus on gratitude, any spiritual connection/belief he has, and as many visitors as possible! Isolation of nursing homes is the worst!

Thanks for reaching out for ideas! Blessings!

A container garden on the patio or in his window sill. He could learn to play an instrument. Ukulele is easy to learn, small and portable, and very economical. Mine was a whopping $28. I play it in church. The other residents would so much appreciate hearing live music.

Anonymous

I work in a nursing home in Ireland and I was just wondering if you have ever tried to do a busy board with all different items on it