Activities for You and Your Dog

A man playing frisbee with his dog.
Keeping your dog healthy and well behaved is helped by making sure they get sufficient exercise. In addition to walking there are many activities that both you and your pet will enjoy. This is a guide about activities for you and your dog.

My dogs and I walk every morning. The weather in southern California is heating up. When it gets like this, we go out earlier in the morning and I have a hat and a kerchief which, when soaked in water keeps me cool. They each have gel in them and it makes an amazing difference. I got the hat on the internet. The dogs don't seem bothered by the heat when we walk. During the day, they prefer to be in the air-conditioned house.

By Maya from Redlands, CA

What's a good activity you could do with your dog or dogs so they don't get so bored?

By C.A.Rodriquez from Hutchinson, KS

I take my large dogs to a safe place for them to run. I have 3 large, more aggressive dogs, that are high energy. I take them to a local Industrial Park in the evenings and let them run/walk with me.

The Industrial Park is fenced and I choose an unused parking lot that is well protected from traffic. They run back and forth while I walk. We are all in a safe environment, me with them, them with fences so we have a great time without any organized activities.

If I begin throwing a ball, I would be stuck doing that for 3 dogs for an hour! LOL. My youngest dog can run 23 mph (yes, I clocked her) for 15 minutes and than can run at 17 mph for up to 30 more minutes before she is tired out.

I try to allow them to run unleashed for 60 minutes every other day. If I was to take any of them on a leash, and I can't because of a shoulder injury, and just walk it would be at least an hour per dog.