Adding a New Electrical Outlet

Electrical Outlet
Often times, rooms just don't seem to have enough outlets or they just aren't in the most convenient location. This guide is about adding a new electrical outlet.

I recently wired a light to its own breaker. I needed an outlet outside for my grill. I used the light wire in the attic for my receptacle. It only works when the light is turned on. How can I fix this?

An electrician can fix this for you.

A hot and neutral wire were probably taken to the switch and from the switch a switch leg and neutral were taken to the light.

You need a hot and neutral to your receptacle.

This can be done with an additional wire from the switch to the light, a hot wire, which would only connect to your receptacle wire.

If easier, you could run the hot and neutral from the switch to the receptacle.

I am wondering how to add a new indoor electrical outlet for track lighting? Is it feasible?

John

Without knowing whether nearby circuits are already loaded to permissible limits or not, I would have to recommend laying a new cable from the breaker panel to the point where you want the new outlet. Depending on the house and the decor, the new cable can be paper thin under-the-carpet steelbelted cable, surface mount flat conduit, or fished through walls or ceilings.

If there is an outlet nearby, that could be converted to an X-10 switched outlet by simply replacing the outlet and installing an X-10 switch anywhere else. There does not have to be a connection between the switch and the outlet. An X-10 switch puts a signal onto the normal AC current and the far away outlet responds accordingly. That way you can turn the track lighting on and off from any convenient location, without have to install wiring between the switch and the outlet.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://www.webby.com/humor/

A friend has asked me to help install a 15 amp 110 volt outlet in a landscape area. The area is bounded by a driveway so running a wire will be very difficult.

However, there is landscape lighting that has a 220 volt feed to it that is powering 4-24V lights. Can I wire nut into one side of the 220 volt transformer supply and install an outlet mounted on the back of the transformer post?

Dan from MD