Adjusting the Tension on a Serger Sewing Machine

After many tries I cannot adjust the tension dials on my serger (new). On the underside, the loops are too big, any help?

By Deb2009 from Flowood, MS

Answers:

Increase the tension the for the bottom (underside) looper a little at a time until it is the correct tension (this decreases the slack on the bottom looper), and then lastly increase the top looper tension a little at at time until its perfect.

You can practice this by re-threading your machine with a different color thread for each looper to make it easy to see where you need to increase or decrease the tension until you get the hang of it. (10/30/2009)

By kimsukie

I have found that after hours of frustration with this problem, sometimes my needle is the wrong size/kind for the material/thread, or I need to just change the weight of my thread. Call your local Singer store and get this stuff right first before you spend anymore time on tension knobs. (11/05/2009)

By @homew/2

Check the manual. Here is why.
I borrowed a serger from my school to use on a project and met with great frustration. I finally discovered that the manual (it is a Singer Serger) was wrong! The colors of two of the dials were mislabeled in the book so I was actually adjusting them contrary to the direction they should have been going.

I discovered this only by going to other sources to understand how a serger works. I spent hours. Once I discovered this, I crossed out the colors listed in the manual and changed them to the correct ones, and now the directions work perfectly. By the way, at the beginning of the manual, the colors were correct, it was only on the pages that described how to make certain stitches and in the troubleshooting pages where they were transposed. (11/07/2009)

By itsbarbara

Well first you have to identify which thread on your fabric corresponds to what thread tension regulator. Then you can adjust the regulator based on the looseness of the thread.

Check out this video hope it helps.

http://www.sewingmachineryrepair.com/forums/index.php?topic=8.0 (01/06/2010)

By tizank

Repair person sewing on a machine.
Adjusting the Tension on Your Sewing Machine
Baby Lock Imagine Serger
Finding a Baby Lock Imagine Serger Manual
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine
Adjusting the Timing on Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄