Advice For Dog That Runs Away

I have a Shih Tzu who runs away if I put her outside without a leash on. She eventually comes back after we call her a lot. Then she just sits there before she runs and acts like she will come back. What do I do?

By JBforever

Answers:

Advice For Dog That Runs Away

Unfortunately, it means that you should not put her out without a leash! If you don't want to go out when the dog needs to "go", use a cable system, or get a fence. If you need to, put a gate on the outside of your door that you can step over, but will contain the dog, or crate the dog if you have to go out.

Take an obedience training class, and get the little dog under control. I think a lot of people don't worry about training with little dogs, because they're easier to (physically) control; but they need it just as much as any dog. You'll both be much happier if the dog is trained to listen; and you needn't worry, trainers are not going to have you spank the dog or anything harsh. Training is done by rewarding the good behavior. (12/08/2009)

By Jilson

Advice For Dog That Runs Away

Take her out with a leash and she won't run away. You could also put her on a run and she can run about the lawn w/o leaving home, but a dog unattended and on a run is vulnerable to other people's pets running around and your dog would have no where to go. You could buy those underground lines that keep your pet contained on your lawn's boundary, too. (12/08/2009)

By Lorelei

Advice For Dog That Runs Away

I as well have a Shih-tzu and she does the same thing. I have taught her to come when I say "good girl treat" and open up the bag of treats and she runs inside. (12/08/2009)

By sunshine64

Advice For Dog That Runs Away

Please be a responsible owner and get your dog on a leash. In our state, it's the law. Any dog that is caught running lose is subject to the dog pound, heavy fines and possible euthanasia if the pound can't locate the owner. You are not doing your dog any favors by letting it run lose. He/she could get hit by a car, dognapped and abused or any number of things. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it only makes sense that if your dog runs away because it's not leashed, then get a leash. Real simple. (12/11/2009)

By chef4u

Advice For Dog That Runs Away

Run the opposite direction from the dog while screaming. I got that tip from a dog trainer. I had doubts, but when my dog got out once I tried it and my dog came running to me close enough for me to catch him. My trainer said it works 99% of the time. (12/11/2009)

By TXBetty

Advice For Dog That Runs Away
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Sick Dog
Dog Throwing Up After Eating
🎄
🍂