Advice on Buying a New Washer

New Washer
When it's time to purchase a new clothes washing machine, you want to make sure you choose a reliable brand and the right size for your needs. This guide contains advice on buying a new washer.

I am going to have to purchase a new washer soon, as mine is on it's last leg. It makes a horrible clunking sound when it changes gears to rinse and spin dry. Any advise on purchasing a new washer would be appreciated. I do not need a big fancy one as I'm widowed and it's just me. Please tell me what brand you have and why or why you do not like it. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

Why spend more money than you really have to? My husband and I recently purchased a second hand Kenmore Washer and Dryer from a used appliance store. The washer and dryer are only 3 years old and look brand new.

Kenmore Washer - $200

Kenmore Dryer - $175

Delivery $40

$415.00 was the entire bill and I have a 90-day warranty on both.

A new washer is going to cost you at least $400+.

Check the telephone book yellow pages and look for Appliances-used.

I have a Maytag Neptune front load washer. They are expensive. It works well. I make sure to wipe inside the door and inner gasket after every wash. Only thing I don't like is they jump around a lot in the spin cycle.

Washers at Sears with the brand name Kenmore are good and low cost and come with a warranty. I would buy one of these. Used appliances can come with a lot of problems and you may have to spend money on to repair. After all the previous owners got rid of them for some reason.

I live in Toledo and just got a new washer last year at Appliance Center in Maumee. I bought a Hotpoint because it wasn't very expensive and I really like it. It is very quiet and has all the settings I need. The salespeople are very nice and are knowledgeable and can answer any questions you have. The store has a great selection of washers and any other appliance you may need.

I bought it one day they delivered the next day and they hooked it up and tested it before they left. I paid a little extra and they took the old one with them so I didn't have to deal with it.

Consumer Reports Magazine recently tested washers.

One that they highly recommend is the Maytag

model # MTW5800T(W) at $500.00.