Airport Tips When It Is Difficult To Walk

Category Travel
Elderly Couple In Airport
It can be a very long distance to get from security to your flight's gate, and you may need some assistance. This is a guide about airport tips when it is difficult to walk.

I have another question about my Florida trip. I don't walk very well. My question is when I go to the departure gate does that flight 1234 depart from the same gate every day or does it change? I am trying to prepare myself for how much walking I will be doing. I have a layover both days but in different airports. I have an hour between flights.

I am also cocerned about where and what there is to eat and prices. I will be at cvg cincinnati early morning and atl atlanta in the evening. Any suggestions?

Thank you all so much.

Sandy

Answers

Gates change all the time. However, most airlines and airports try and accomodate those than have any type of disability.

Most airports have some type of motorized vehicles that can travel in the terminal from gate to gate. All airlines will have someone meet you at the gate with a wheelchair. You might not "need" a wheelchair normally, but take advantage of the service if you have any qualms about walking the distance.

Call the airline ahead of time. Explain you have trouble walking and ask how to make sure that your have assistance from gate to gate. They will also board you first if you request it if you have difficulty walking. And, if you are flying out of a busy airport, like LAX or Chicago OHare, you might want to check and see if you can get priority at the screening lines. (I don't know if you have trouble standing for a long period of time or only walking, but I've been in the line at LAX for a full hour on several occasions.)

Make sure you check with the attendants at the gate and let them know you will need assistance if the gate changes. They sometimes will have to change a gate within minutes of the flight and sometimes that gate can be in a different part of the terminal completely. If you warn them in advance, you are more likely to be able to get a motorized transport or a wheelchair quickly if needed.

ESPECIALLY in Atlanta you will need assistance getting from gate to gate unless the connections are right near each other. I travel a lot on my job and the Altanta airport is the most daunting to me.

As for the food -- bring your own from home if you can! Airport food is medicore at best and always outrageously expensive. You would be astonished at the number of travelers that bring "sack lunches" these days. If you can't bring your own, quite a few airports have McDonalds and something resembling a mall food court. If there's no McDonald's expect to pay about $10 for a meal of a (lousy) sandwich and drink.

Bring a bottle of water if possible. Buy another at each airport gift store. Airplanes really dehydrate a person!! That can cause all kinds of health problems, especially if you are taking any type of medicines.

Hope that helps.

thank you for that great response. yes i was already planning the meal for the early morning fllight. just on the way home i dont know what i will have access to.

I also have trouible walking and I always request a ride to the gate and to be met by a wheelchair at the other end. Do bring your own food, and on the plane just keep asking for bottles of water. My last flight from Ca to NY I drank 8 10oz bottles of water, all brought 2 at a time by the flight attendants. Besides keeping me hydrated, going to the bathroom gave me a good reason to get up and stretch my legs.

Contact the airline and tell them you need assistance, they will provide a wheelchair and a person to help you