Almond Coconut Bars

This is a recipe that my family has enjoyed for years. I love Almond Joy candy bars, but they never put enough almonds on them for me. This is the closest recipe that I have found for the Almond Joy candy bars, and I can put as many almonds as I want.

• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light cream
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 3-oz. package cream cheese
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 3 cups coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups almond halves
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 lbs chocolate chips
  • 2" square piece of paraffin (shave paraffin into small slivers for easier melting).

Directions:

Line an 8x8x2 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil, set pan aside. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cream, and butter. Cook over medium heat to dissolve sugar, about 8 minutes. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Remove from heat.

Add cream cheese, stir until smooth. Add powdered sugar, coconut, almonds, and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Spread mixture into prepared pan.

Chill until firm. When firm, lift foil to remove candy from pan. Cut candy into 2x1 inch rectangles. Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together. Pour mixture over candy; or dip candy pieces into melted chocolate. (Pouring the chocolate over the candy is the way that I usually do it, it's much less messy.)

Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
You will love this recipe if you are a fan of Almond Joy candy bars.

Source: Favorite recipe of my family. (I have made this recipe for so many years, I don't know where the original recipe came from. )

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

Answers:

Almond Coconut Bars

I also love Almond Joys and agree they don't have enough almonds. Going to try your recipe, however, am going to ditch the paraffin. I would rather have a candy bar where the chocolate melts too fast than be eating a petroleum product. Actually, this recipe was an eye opener as to how many food products contain it when Googling about it. Anyway, giving you a thumbs up for the recipe regardless of the one ingredient I'll be deleting. (02/09/2010)

By Deeli

Almond Coconut Bars

Why does the recipe need paraffin added to chocolate?

Editor's Note: Paraffin is often added to chocolate recipes as a preservative and to keep the chocolate firm and shiny. It is sold with the baking and canning supplies. (04/06/2010)

By Emanuelli

Almond Coconut Bars
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Almonds
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
🎄