Share a SolutionAsk a Question

American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos

The American Staffordshire Terrier is a strong, intelligent dog that is very people oriented. It will thrive when made part of a family and given a job to do. This page contains American Staffordshire Terrier - breed information and photos.

March 24, 2006 Flag
Breed Description: The American Staffordshire Terrier is a stocky, well-built dog with a lot of strength, agility and grace for its smaller size. This breed is large-boned with a broad skull, short muzzle, powerful jaw and a muscular body and medium-long tapered tail.

Group: Terrier

Purpose of Breed: Originally bred for baiting bulls.

Country of Origin: United States

Average Size: 45-65 lbs and 16-19 inches tall

Color(s): Combinations of white, black, tan and liver.

Coat Type: The coat is short and sleek and stiff to the touch.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder. The coat should be brushed regularly and periodically rubbed down with a soft cloth to keep it looking its best. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: If given plenty of exercise, this breed is suitable for apartment living. This breed can become aggressive toward other dogs and should be kept on a leash when walked.

Temperament: When properly trained, this breed makes an excellent companion for children and adults, and an excellent guard dog. The American Staffordshire Terrier is loyal, and eager to please. It possesses an extraordinary amount of courage and is extremely protective of its owner. Because this breed was originally developed as a fighting dog, it can be aggressive towards other dogs. It can also be difficult to housebreak.

Common Ailments: Prone to hip dysplasia and hereditary cataracts.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years.

Trivia: This is the breed commonly referred to as Pit Bull. An American Staffordshire Terrier named Stubby was the most decorated dog of World War II, earning the rank of Sergeant.

More Information: Stafforshire Terrier Club of America

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking into buying a female staffy but I'm unsure if I should get her locally or for over seas? If I do get her from over seas from where should I get her? and at what price am I looking at? Can you please give me a guide line? Much thanks.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

June 25, 2009 Flag

Tyson is a 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. Some women left him in a parking lot when he was very very young. I took him to the vet right away and had to bottle feed him for about 2 months! He is like my baby! He likes to play, sleep and loves to eat!

By guessgirl002 from New York, NY

American Staffordshire Terrier

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Lucky dog that you saved him! Thank you!

I have Krush who is my sweetie and protects me. He is very loyal to us.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

September 15, 2011 Flag

Sebastian is a 4 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. On December 6, 2007 a friend of ours who was moving to Hawaii. His dog had just had pups and he brought over two for us to choose from and we took both, since we could not decide. Sebastian likes to chase flies, chase tennis balls, play tugging with toys, going for walks. Sebastian likes to open the pantry door with his nose, in search for doggy snacks.

By Ida from Las Vegas, NV

Sebastian on the Arm of a Couch

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Soooo cute!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 2, 2010 Flag

Cynder is a 3 year 10 month old American Staffordshire terrier. She was a rescue puppy at 4.5 weeks old.

Cynder steals the cat's food, plays inside with our new puppy, and sleeps with her kid friends. She is the most loving dog; no alpha is she. People see her and melt. The new puppy bosses her around, and Cynder lets her.

She helped me through breast cancer. I had a real reason to fight for my life, and she never left my side.

By cynder

American Staffordshire Terrier

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

What a lovely dog, and a beautiful story too! Isn't it amazing what our animal friends can do for us. Best wishes to you both.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

September 8, 2011 Flag

Johanne Laying in the Grass

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Johanne is a 4 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. A friend of ours was moving to Hawaii and his dog had just had a litter of pups. When our friend came over, he had two pups for us to choose from and we could not decide, so we took in both.

December 10, 2010 Flag

American Staffordshire Terrier

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Boo-Gie is a 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. I found her at Animal Control. She was a stray and had 2 days left until she would be euthanized. I brought her home that very day, 4 years ago.

November 9, 2008 Flag

Staffordshire Terrier

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Jenny is 5 years old and a Staffordshire Terrier. We rescued Jenny from someone who could no longer take care of her. She was 4 months old and had worms, the vet said one of the worst cases she had seen.

May 7, 2013 Flag

I got Miss Kitty in May of 2011. She turned 2 on April 1 2013.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

October 27, 2013 Flag

Closeup of Yoda

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Bear came to us in 2012 through a rescue that had saved him from a kill shelter in Georgia, where he had been abandoned with rickets, heartworms, and demodex mange.

April 22, 2007 Flag

American Staffordshire

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Blu Venus is a 2 year old American Staffordshire. I traded out stud service of one of my males for her. She likes to chew my shoes up. Plus sleep in my bed with a pillow and blanket.

April 13, 2005 Flag

Tammy & Tyson (American Staffordshire Terrier and an American Staffy-Mastiff)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

To give dogs their worming or other medicinal tablet, wrap the tablet in a fresh large piece of ham or devon. Your best friend will take the tablet with no hesitation - guaranteed!

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Amer. Staff. TerrierAugust 24, 2012
American Flag Pillow
American Flag Craft Projects
Pin Curling an American Girl Doll's Hair
American Pit Bull Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier Information and Photos
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 9:18:29 PM on 10.0.1.35 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.