Amish Friendship Bread

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

Ingredients

• 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 2 Tbsp. warm water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

Day One: Combine yeast, warm water and a pinch of sugar in a cup. Allow to stand a few minutes until it begins to foam. In a large glass or plastic bowl combine sugar, flour and milk with wooden or plastic spoon. Stir in yeast mixture. Do not use metal bowl, spoon or beater. Cover loosely and keep at room temperature.

Day Two, Three, and Four: Stir through once each day.

Day Five: Add and stir 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Then stir in 1 cup milk.

Day Six, Seven, Eight and Nine: Stir through once each day.

Day Ten: Add and stir 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Then stir in 1 cup milk. Remove 4 cups of the mixture. Give 1 cup each to friends to use as starter (they put in a bowl and start at Day Two). Use one cup as your own starter with what remains in the bowl.

Amish Friendship Bread

Ingredients

• 10th Day Friendship starter (approx. 1 cup)
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 large apple, peeled, pared and chopped
  • 1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Beat together the ripened starter, oil, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, eggs, apple and nuts. Pour into two well-greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Bake 40-45 minutes. Makes two loaves.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Amish Friendship Bread

When starting the bread, I just use a gallon freezer bag and just leave it on the counter. Each day you just kneed the bag. Somedays you will need to release some of the air because it will puff up. But this is a great deal easier and less messy than the bowl. On the days you are adding ingredients, just add into the bag and kneed. Then when you are ready to make your bread, just pour it straight from the bag in the measuring cups. Hope this help. (04/19/2007)

By Nana B

Amish Friendship Bread

Thank you for the Recipe,I had lost mine and wanted to share it with My NOW married Daughters and could NOT find my old Recipe card. Now I can start it and give to them along with my new neighbor,so thanks. Appreciate the help. Have a Blessed Day :-) (04/19/2007)

By grammaoftwo

Amish Friendship Bread

Thank you Robin, for the friendship bread. My friends and i use to do that a long time ago, I'm talking about 20 yrs ago. thank you so much for bring back memories. I will start it again. thank you again, Joanne< Pa. (04/19/2007)

By joanne

Loaf of bread with rolling pin on white background
Amish Friendship Bread Starter
One Day Amish Friendship Bread
One Day Amish Friendship Bread Recipes
Friendship Mobile
Making a Friendship Mobile
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
White Bread
Amish White Bread Recipes
🎉
🎄