When you get a mosquito bite or a bee/wasp sting, use household ammonia to get rid of the itch or sting. I bought one of the sting "sticks" that they sell and refill it with household ammonia. I keep it with me during the warm months. One of these "sticks" has ammonia in it as an ingredient. Or just keep some ammonia in a small bottle and apply with a cotton ball. You may have to reapply now and again.
I had six wasp stings at one time and applied this immediately and it killed the pain instantly. It would be a good idea to test the ammonia on your wrist to make sure there isn't an allergic reaction to the ammonia.
Source: A neighbor who is a chemist. During one of cookouts, one of the kids was stung by a bee and the ammonia immediately took the pain away. Our neighbor who is from Thailand said this is what the farmers use but they use their own personal ammonia, if you know what I mean.
By mkymlp from PA
mkymlp, I know that this works because once I had bought the stick and it said on the ingredients that it was 100% ammonia. I find that you have to use it immediately though for it to be effective. (08/05/2009)
Eww, does "that" really work? (08/05/2009)
You can also make a paste with water and baking soda. You can actually watch the swelling subside as it's applied (tobacco works too. Take a bit of cigarette tobacco in you mouth; saturate it and place it on the sting. It's gone! (09/14/2009)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!