An Organized Shopping List Makes All the Difference

By Monica Resinger

Making and using a grocery list will help you buy only necessities and/or
sale items so will help you save money. It will also get you out of the store

quicker as long as the list is organized.

An unorganized grocery list can actually keep you in the store longer; here's
an example: I used to make my grocery list by writing the first item at the
top of the list and working my way down in no particular order. At the store,
I'd be in a particular area, read my list over in a hurry and miss one or two
items in that section. I would then have to run back to that section later when
I noticed I missed items. Every time I went shopping I'd spend a good part of
the time running back to a particular section to pick up something I missed.
I decided there had to be a better way.

What I came up with is a pre-printed sectioned list made on my computer. The
list has headings for each section of the grocery store such as 'produce',
'meats', 'breakfast foods', etc., just like you'd see in a coupon organizer. Now,

as I'm making my list, I just go to the section on the pre-printed list and
write in the item. Then, when I'm grocery shopping and in a certain area, I can
see at a glance ALL the items needed in that section. Another benefit is that
it's very easy to search for coupons since the list headings match the coupon

I made this list by opening up a new document in my Wordpad program; any word
processing program will work. Then all I did was type in the following
headings three across in a row, then four or five returns down to make the next row
of three across. The returns provide space for to write in items later. These
are the headings I used:

• MEAT

After the list was finished, I printed out a few to keep with my grocery ads
in a binder. When I need more, I'll print more.

I took my list shopping and found out, an organized shopping list does make
all the difference.

About The Author: Monica Resinger is the creator of 'Homemaker's Journal E-Publications' where you will find many fun and informative home and garden related e-books, tip sheets and how to sign up for her FREE home and garden newsletter! Click here to visit:

I, too, have a pre-printed grocery shopping list. But I have mine in the sequence of the store aisles. So the list flows in the same order as my walk through the store. I also have pre-printed items on my list, not just headers. Then I only have to circle things, not write them in. And having individual items listed reminds me to see if we are low on things that we buy only occasionally. (02/01/2005)

By Meg

Shopping Lists In Order

Make a shopping list and stick to it. List your items in order of how they are stocked in the store. This will save time and money.

By Cindy (03/02/2005)

I have made my list in Excel and have all of the items I buy regularly pre-printed and listed by the aisle for the store that I shop at. I leave a couple of lines so that I can write in things that are not regular items in my house. I have been doing this for years and it really helps! (03/02/2005)

By Sara

Organizing Your Shopping List

If you tend to visit the same store, you probably have a pretty good idea of where products are located in the store. One way to save time at the grocery store is to organize your shopping list by what aisle the item is likely to be located. This is especially useful if you send another family member to do the shopping, they won't have to wander around looking for products. (03/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

This is the ONLY website I found which actually gives a written list of categories to organize your coupons and grocery list. Every other site on the entire internet just give suggestions, way to go! (08/05/2005)

By Kristen

I would use pre-printed grocery lists if I would not love my system of making lists on post-it notes which I love to attach to the shopping carts when shopping. What I do is I keep my list growing during the week in no order (whatever needs to be bought, I add to the list), then, just before the shopping, I quickly rewrite the list on a new post-it note in the order of aisles in my store. I know the order by heart. I also start with no refrigeration needed items and the last aisles I visit are the aisles for dairy, meat and other refrigerated or frozen items.

By elena f

I usually grocery shop at 2-3 different stores in my area. I use one list but I highlight items needed in a particular store by colors. I use a pink highlighter for Wal-mart, yellow one for Aldis, blue for others. On my grocery list, I can note any items when it comes to mind, in any order. I then highlight the item so I know what store I will have to make the purchase. This makes shopping so much easier for me. Also, on top of each sale circulars, I write what I have interest in plus the price. When I am ready to shop, I check out what I had written on the circulars during the week to give me a general idea of what the prices are and what stores I have to shop. (04/17/2009)

By mkymlp

A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
A woman filling out Christmas cards.
Organizing Your Christmas Card List
Grocery List
Creating A Grocery List
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
Creating a Christmas List
Creating a Christmas List