Ants In Yard and Driveway

I am absolutely overrun with ants in my yard and driveway. I have tried commercial pesticides. I think they like it. Anyone have any ideas? They are ruining my yard. (None in the house, thank goodness.)

C.J. Cox

Answers:

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Boric Acid and also chalk will get rid of ants, they won't cross a line of either one. (04/27/2005)

By MrsMoted2

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I've had luck sprinkling a line of baking soda around the house and on the ant hills. (04/27/2005)

By Gannon

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Our co-operative extension service said to pour boiling water in the ant hills, that should take care of them. (04/28/2005)

By Marsha

Ants In Yard and Driveway

What I did when they were in my yard, was I just used straight Dawn dish soap. The ants don't like it a bit and, yes I did kill my lawn, but it did come back too. (04/28/2005)

By Joyce

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I don't know where you live but here in Texas (and other parts of the south) we get a lot of fire ants. We have tried many things, but the best thing that we have found is Sweet and Low. That's right, the artificial sweetener. We just sprinkle a pack or two (or more, depending on the size of the mound) and usually several hours later all the ants are gone. They take it back to the nest and it kills all the ants. The person that told us about this said that Splenda and Equal also work, but we have had good luck with Sweet and Low, so I guess we'll continue using it. Also, it doesn't seem to kill the grass. Good Luck.

(04/29/2005)

By Margaret

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I got rid of my ant problem by watching where they entered and placing used coffee grounds around the entrance. They disappeared. (04/29/2005)

By Ebony49

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I have not tried this yet, but I read it on this forum a few weeks back: pour uncooked grits over the ant hills. I don't know why the magic of this works, but I like the idea of no pesticides. Good luck. (04/29/2005)

By Melissa W.

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Mix borax and sugar. I had them last year crawling up my drain pipe to the humming bird feeder. This year no ants. I have used this mix for many years and it works. (07/29/2007)

By Sue

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Cedar chips work well. If you spread a line cedar chips about 8 inches wide around wherever you do not want the ants or other bugs, they will not cross the line. Make sure to freshen the cedar line every now and then.

• Boric acid and sugar
  • Sweet and Low
  • Calcium oxide (Quick lime) or hydroxide
  • baking soda
  • your mothers grits
are excellente, also.

Forget ant traps. There are many types of ants and ants look for sweet things or protein depending on the time of year. I put traps in the middle of a ant line. The ants just ignored them. I even put sugar water in the traps on top of the protein/sweet poison. They still ignored them. I think the trick is to offer them something better then what they are marching to. Can't beat Boric Acid and white or brown sugar or honey and water with Sweat and Low.

Good luck. (03/28/2008)

By Eric

Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Fire Ants
Getting Rid of Fire Ants
Ant Hill in Forest
Getting Rid of Ant Hills
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄