Ants in Dishwasher

Has anyone heard of this and have any suggestions? My dishwasher is getting full of ants. When I open in the morning, it will be full of ants. I run a small amount of hot water in it and then drain. How are they getting in and how can I stop them?

CJ'S Mom

Answers:

Ants in dishwasher?

You have to find where they are nesting. In my case, the cabinet next to the dishwasher had cereal which was infested. I threw it all out and bought plastic cereal keepers. Finally I found that there was candy in my daughter's bag in the hall closet, that was the attraction. They will gravitate to the water. You will need to get an exterminator, but must find the source of the attraction. (03/13/2005)

By mahopacnymommy

Ants in dishwasher?

You probably have a leak under your dishwasher. It could only be one small drip, but still a leak. You definitely should call an exterminator, but fix your leak. (03/14/2005)

By klmaclaughlin

Ants in dishwasher?

Put Mule team 20 borax granules in the bottom of your dishwasher when not in use. They will "take it home" and it will kill the source. Best of all you can just run your dishwasher as normal, as the borax won't hurt you or your dishes/dishwasher. You can exterminate and kill once, but if the dirty dishes are the attraction and they (exterminators) don't kill the source then they will return time and time again. Dial Corp won't say it kills ants as they are not licensed as a pesticide, but it works. You can also go the 20 Mule Team site and find other uses for this product so if you don't use it all for ants, which you probably won't, then you have other neat things to make and do with it.

I also use a sugar, water, borax mixture to kill ants in other unwanted places. A milk cap filled with the sugar mixture and refilled for two weeks took care of ants we were fighting for almost two years. Good luck. (03/14/2005)

By Barbie

Ants in dishwasher?

Every year I get that problem. I throw bleach in the bottom of my dishwasher and that kills them for
a while. Wish I knew of another way also. (04/20/2005)

By Pat

Ants in dishwasher?

This is also a problem for us. Here's how I solve it. I take a Q-tip dip in an insecticide and run the Q-tip around the edges of the wood cabinetry surrounding the dishwasher and on the floor under the washer. Works like a charm. (05/09/2005)

By Deb

Ants in Dishwasher

You could also try putting granular lime all around your foundation. I tried this several years ago and "knock on wood", we have seen one ant in the house since then. (07/27/2005)

By Streatch

Ants in Dishwasher

I was having the same problem with tiny ants getting into the dishwasher. Since I heard that dryer sheets actually repel ants, I decided to stuff some under the cabinet lip near the dishwasher. Believe it or not, this worked and I haven't seen an ant since. (08/08/2005)

By BAL

Ants in Dishwasher

I had this problem for a year or so until a friend told me to pour white distilled vinegar full strength (bought a big bottle really cheap) down the drain hole in the dishwasher and then let it run with no soap for a cycle.

I am happy to say I have only had to do this one other time between last year and now and they have been gone ever since. Hope that helps. (08/11/2005)

By Tanya

Ants in Dishwasher

Same problem with tiny ants around washer. Found a nest inside the top panel rear when removed. Just next to the vent. Ants may like the moisture. Removed and sprayed area. (05/24/2008)

By Mike

Ants in Dishwasher

I have used Boric acid. Found this on the net. Just go out and buy some 20 Mule Team Borax if you need more. It's in the laundry soap aisle in the grocery store. It's almost pure Boric acid, sold as a laundry soap booster. At about $3.00 per 2-4 pound box it's a lot cheaper than the commercial ant killer.

The best bug-killing bait I've used was a recipe whose source I cannot remember. I'll list it here:

• 1 part borax
  • 1 part flour
  • 1 part sugar
  • enough Crisco to make a paste.

I cut apart the individual "cups" from an egg carton and put a good spoonful of the mixture in each. Then I place the "cups" around under appliances, well out of the way of pets and kids. The sugar and fat will draw the bugs to the bait. Every spring I renew the bait.

I also sprinkle a little in the bottom of the dishwasher as the dirty dishes accumulate. The bugs are drawn to the dishwasher and walk through the borax.
(08/10/2008)

By Jim T.

Carpenter Ant
Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄