Ants in Stored Cereal

Category Ants
Pour cereal into a bowl
If you have ants getting into your cereal you need to you need to contain the cereal better and get rid of the ants. This is a guide about ants in stored cereal.

I have a pantry and I went to get some fruit loops out that was in a zipper bag and it had a lot of small ants in the bag. They appeared to be ants as they were rather small. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS

Best Answer

Those 'ants' are probably weevils. These tiny beetles love cereal, flour, pancake mix or any other grain product. They are known carriers of E. coli so immediately toss anything that is even suspicious! You will have to thoroughly clean the containers. Use bleach, alcohol or anything that will kill germs, bacteria, etc.

Best Answer

My mother had a rule of thumb she stored food by: If it doesn't come in a can or a bottle, it goes in the fridge!

Mine is similar to hers but not exactly the same: If it doesn't come in a bottle or a can, it goes in a Lock & Lock container (they now have generics that are equally as good). If it can't go in one of those, it goes in the fridge.

Lock & Lock (and the generics) have a tight fitting seal around the top that not only keeps the bugs out, but also keeps the freshness in. I have brown sugar in one that I've had for 6 months and when I pick the container up it moves around just like it did the day I first put it in there. No hard clumps at all.

They can be a bit pricey, but I've noticed lately that the Dollar store has started carrying the generics too and have bought several from there and been just as satisfied.

Ants HATE cinnamon

I TRIED THE CINNAMON THING,IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME