Aqua Globes Alternative

I have seen those water globes on TV for watering potted plants. Does anyone know how you could make some out of 8 oz. bottles? I would like to try and make some if anyone as any ideas on how.

Cheryl from Lawson, MO

Answers:

Aqua Globes Alternative

Harbor Freight Tools (and a lot of other places) sell a package of 6 plastic spikes that you screw onto a bottle and insert in dirt to water plants. I think that they're about 9 inches long and have tiny holes in the spike to slowly release water. You can use them in pots or outside in the garden, and they screw on just about any size bottle, even those large 2-liter ones.

I don't remember how much they cost, but it's relatively cheap, like $5.00 for the package. They work best in heavy soil. If you have plants in a light soil-free planting medium, it'll have too much air in it and the water will run out of the holes, a fact I didn't know. (11/12/2008)

By susanmajp

Aqua Globes Alternative

My husband used a beer bottle, a soda bottle would work just as well. It's been in the plant for about 3 days and the water is about 1/3 gone. (11/12/2008)

By Noella

Aqua Globes Alternative

The screw onto a soda bottle "spikes" or cones with holes (however you see them advertised) are junk. I ordered them (6/$4.95 I think) one worked the first time I used them, one never would screw on right, and the remaining ones leaked around the "threads". When I refilled the one, it then leaked too, and I tried both 12 and 20 ounce soda bottles. Money in the trash can. (03/13/2009)

By xsnos2

Aqua Globes Alternative
Photo of a globe.
Craft Ideas Using Globes
Making Paper Globes
Making Paper Globes
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Stick Deodorant
Alternative Uses for Stick Deodorants
🎉
🎄