Arapaho Blossom

Photo Description
It's a cherry!
No. It's a peach!
No. It's an apple.

You're all wrong. It's an Arapaho! It's a blackberry!

This blackberry should be in every home garden. If you have space for a 5 gallon bucket, you have room for this berry. It was developed by the University of Arkansas. It is a thornless variety. Pretty high on the brix (sweetness) scale, and a very good bearer.

This is my first year to grow them. They're in 5 gallon buckets along side my Apache blackberries. They're all loaded with blooms.

Come the 4th of July, I may just have enough berries to try my hand at a cobbler. The least I could do is a blackberry topping for vanilla ice cream.

Yes!

This is very interesting as I have blueberries and a couple of raspberries but have only looked at the blackberry bushes. I checked this out on the Internet and found that some say zones 5-8, others say 5-9A (I'm in 9A) and some will not ship to Florida. Sounds like a good type so I might would have to move it indoors come next winter. Description says thornless and small seeds (very important to me) so I might have to look for one or two.

Thanks for all your information.

Betty

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Why would you need to move the berry plants indoors during winter? I am growing mine in 5 gallon buckets so as to make them easier to cover with netting. If I didn't use netting, I would not get one berry.

Now in mid April, my plants are already higher than my head (and covered with blooms). I hope your sons are the muscular type. You would need them to bring the plants in.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I bought my blackberry plants at Lowe's. You said you were in central Florida. Not knowing just where, I checked a store in Orlando. They do have the plants. Maybe a Lowe's near you does, as well. The store I checked had Apache, among other thornless varieties. The Apache is even sweeter than the Arapaho.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks for the information - I live in Ocala so I am not quite truly "central" but close. My son-in-law is a supervisor at the Lowe's in Daytona Beach and he says they have several varieties and he will bring me several this week-end - Yay for son-in-laws!

i only mentioned bringing them in because I have not grown blackberries before (but love 'em)and I tend to worry when we get a windy cold spell as I have had some roots freeze in 5 gallon buckets (in Jacksonville, FL). But, you are probably right so I will just save my son a back ache and smile as I see a new plant growing.

I called and ask him to get different kinds - might as well go all out!

thanks again - will let you know how they are doing later.

Betty

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Yes. Do keep us informed. I think you're gonna love the plants. My ag agent says blackberries are tough plants, I've found that to be true. If I can keep them outside here in central NC, where it gets down to 3 degrees, you should have no problems in Ocala.

Blackberry cuttings are extremely easy to root. Inside the red circle is a cutting I rooted last year. It has already bloomed. The blooms have fallen off.

Reply Like this photo? Yes