Are Onions Safe for Dogs?

Category Health
Big white dog sitting next to two freshly harvested large onions.
Onions can be toxic to dogs when consumed in large amounts. Check out this guide and learn more about if onions are safe for dogs.

I used the 2 ends of an onion in a large pot of chicken stock that I was making for my dog. Would that amount (strained) harm my dog?

By Catherine

Anonymous
Best Answer

That small of an amount this one time in a dog that looks as large as yours has probably not done any damage but in the future it would be best not to feed your dog 'anything' that is in the allium family in any amount. You can search the internet for which plants are considered alliums. Even many flowers are in that family. Long term damage of even small amounts can cause Heinz Body Anemia so it's best to simply steer clear of allium in any form.

Best Answer

I just returned home from the vet, and she specifically said never to feed dogs onions, garlic, grapes, or chocolate. The same was said to my sister who visited the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center with her pup. From online reading, I have also learned that even onion or garlic powder can cause problems.