Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

My dog recently caught a toad and after spitting it out starting foaming at the mouth. On a recent post about what foods are poisonous to dogs there was a tip to go to the ASPCA site. They have a list of warm weather

Ad

hazards, and toads are on that list, but it doesn't say what will happen if your dog bites a toad. The

consultation fee to call the poison center at ASPCA is $55.00! Would anyone know what happens to dogs after

biting a toad?

Paula from Christmas, MI

Answers:

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

Toads can excrete a nasty fluid that your dog probably got a mouthful of. Since he was foaming at the mouth he had

a reaction to try to get rid of the toxin as nature intended. He may be off his feed for a few days and that's OK

too, but if he eats and drinks he will probably be his old self in a couple of days. (08/25/2006)

By Carla

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

Try just calling your vet. Maybe they could tell you. Try doing a Google search if you know what kind of toad it

was. (08/25/2006)

By sandy63

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

Well, from my expensive trip to the vet recently I have learned that some toads can be toxic to dogs. They secrete

a liquid and that is what makes the dogs foam at the mouth. For most dogs it is an easy fix, you simply

(ha,ha..not so simply) put a water hose into the dogs mouth with its mouth pointing downward and rinse out the

foam, making sure you rub the gums and tongue as best you can.

On a more serious note, some dogs have serious allergic reactions and have to be expressed to the vets office

for steroid and antihistamine injections to reverse the effects. I know this because I just went through it 3 days

ago. My terrier mix had horrible reactions, but foaming at the mouth was not one of them (hhmmm?) Her mouth

swelled up badly and her eyes completely dilated and she became very lethargic and fell over on her side. Not a

Ad

cheap trip, but worth it! As far as a list of such toads or frogs, I have been looking for that info myself

recently. I am also researching poisonous caterpillars and bugs that dogs seem to need to check out. Hope this

helps! (04/26/2007)

By LMM

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

Our vet said the reaction depends on the type of toad and the size of the dog. Since our dog is 50 pounds, she is

okay. Plus, it is important to immediately rinse off the gums. The Bufo toad has a venom that has a peanut

butter consistency and will stay on the dog's gums, so you need to point the dog's head down, get a hose to rinse

the gums off. You can have a soft cloth to help wipe off the gums and inside the mouth. The time is critical, so

IMMEDIATELY rinse your dogs gums and inside the mouth for 10-15 minutes. If your dog is walking all right, not

swaying, and appears otherwise normal after the initial 1/2 hour of contacting the toad, then, no problem. If the

dog is not behaving normally in the first 1/2 hour and you have rinsed the dog's mouth for 10 to 15 minutes, then

get over to the vet. The Bufo toad venom affects the nervous system and can cause brain damage, breathing

problems, and death, especially in smaller dogs.

In Hawaii, there are Bufo toads and those are dangerous to dogs. See article below, another feedback had the

url. I don't have the website address it is in another feedback's post, but here is the article. I figure if

you are as worried as I was, it is better to have all the info in one spot. Good luck, don't panic. In Hawaii,

it is the type of the toad, the Bufo toad that is dangerous to dogs and that causes the foaming reaction. If your

dog caught a Bufo toad, then its gums will be irritated and will be bright RED.

Danger - Giant Toads

Toads secrete a substance that can irritate a dog's eyes or tongue. Catching and chewing a toad can cause

excessive salivation and sometimes disorientation, but usually nothing very serious. If your dog has caught a

toad, flushing his mouth with water to relieve the unpleasant symptoms is usually all that's needed. But there are

some deadly exceptions!

Several species of giant toads are a serious threat to pets. The Colorado River Toad, found in Southwestern

states from Arizona to Southern California, and the Giant Brown Toad (also known as Marine Toads, Cane Toads or

Bufo Toads) found in South Texas and Florida, are the two most common poisonous toads in the U.S. There are also a

large number of Bufo Toads in Hawaii. These giant toads can grow to be 4" to about 9" long and to weigh more than

2 pounds.

Unlike other toads who only eat live, moving insects, giant toads will climb into outdoor food bowls and eat

dog food. This leads to toad catching and canine poisoning. There have even been rare cases where giant toads have

just sat on the rim of a dog's water dish and left enough toxin to make the dog sick.

Drooling, head shaking, pawing at the mouth, crying, and attempting to vomit are some symptoms that a pet has

had contact with these toads. Symptoms of toad poisoning in dogs can include heavy drooling, head-shaking,

vomiting, diarrhea, bright red gums, weakness, loss of coordination, fever, irregular heartbeat, difficult

breathing, tightly clamped jaws, convulsions, and even death.

Veterinary treatment, among other measures, might include an EKG to detect an abnormal heart rhythm and, if

present, cardiac medication to combat it, medication to reduce fever, medication to control seizures and IV

Ad

fluids.

If you live in an area where giant toads can be found, there are some things you can do to protect your dog

from a tragic encounter with them.

  • Toads are nocturnal animals. Turn on outdoor lights and don't allow your dog outside alone after dark.
  • Toads are also seen more often in wet weather. When it is raining, any time of day, always accompany your dog

    outside, and be extra watchful.

  • Inspect areas around plants and shrubs and carefully check your yard for toads before taking your dog outside

    during early morning hours.

  • If your dog has had contact with a giant toad, place a hose along the inside of the dog's mouth, point the

    dog's head downward so the water won't be swallowed and flush its mouth with water to remove all trace of the

    poison. While flushing, rub the gums and rub the inside of its mouth. Continue until the gums and the inside of

    the mouth no longer feel slimy, then call your Vet.

  • If you suspect toad poisoning in your dog, get prompt veterinary treatment. (05/17/2009)

By Kamaaina

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

Here in Arizona we have a very large toad, the Colorado River Toad. These toads have glands on their backs that

secrete a neurotoxin. Our dog, Roswell, has gotten a hold of one twice. The first time, not knowing what we know

now, scared the living daylights out of my husband and I. The toxin sticks to the dogs gums and the affect is

almost immediate. The eyes dilate, the breathing can become labored, the heartbeat can become irregular. The

dog can appear confused and lack coordination. You should immediately begin washing out the dog's mouth with a

hose (the strong flow helps remove the sticky toxin). Using a soft cloth with also help. We were told by our vet

that if a dog eats the toad it is almost always fatal. Some dogs do have long term ill affects due to the toxin

so keep an eye on your pet. We don't let our dogs out at night alone now. Our dog still hasn't learn his lesson

as he still looks for his toad "friends". (08/09/2009)

By Ladiedaz

Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?

I just encountered the same situation about 45 minutes ago. I am usually quick enough to keep my 85lb Pit Bull

away from them not even realizing what the effects would be. She found one when I was moving a piece of furniture

outside and was quicker than me. She shook it and tossed it out of her mouth. Immediately she started foaming

at the mouth really badly. I went inside and got hydrogen peroxide and forced about 1/2 cup down her throat.

This is a trick I saw from a friend who needed her dog to throw up a bone he ate. Any ways we stayed outside

and then within 10 minutes she started throwing up. I didn't know if she digested anything or what took place,

all I was thinking about at that point was to make her throw up and get it out of her system. As soon as she

finished she was fine. I am sorry for those of you who have lost a pet to this and grateful to everyone who has

posted about it. (09/30/2010)

By DEFamosi

Comments

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
Close-up of dog's nose sniffing a toad
Are Toads Harmful To Dogs?
Next >︎
Categories
January 13, 2011
Guides
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
Toad in a garden.
Attracting Toads to Your Garden
More
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
🍂
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 5:00:29 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!