Arranging Payments on a Large Dental Bill

I went to a new dentist and had work done in December of 2016. I had insurance for that month, but I added cleaning for my teeth, and even with insurance it ran up my bill to over $1545.00. They took and wrote off some x-rays.

After I called and complained about my large bill, the gal in the front office said they would not charge me any finance charges. Then this bill for April, now has a finance charge on it. I called Monday and had to leave a message as they did not answer the phone and to date no one has called me back!
Very unprofessional to say the least. I am low income senior, and I had told them that all along.

Anonymous

I think the bill automatically adds financing. You should ask them to make a note on your account not to add that 'financing'.

I had that problem for mine too but they just tell me to ignore the financing part as I am doing payment for my dental bill also (as I have no insurance for dental but a loyal customer of theres for over 15 years. They allow me to pay what I can per month).

That happened to me a couple years ago. I complained several times and made sure to call my dental insurance to tell them what happened. They somehow just "went away" probably knowing they were wrong for doing it. Make sure you let them know as much as you can they're in the wrong and tell your dental insurance from that time, as well.

Yes that was the amount after insurance paid only 50% fo xrays and pulling one broken tooth and cleaning, that's all they took inpressions

for a so-called flapper tooth, to take place of the lost tooth.

Sorry - I am not sure that I understand your question. You say you had insurance for that month (December 2016) but your bill ran to over $1545.00. Do you mean this is what you owe AFTER your insurance has paid their part?

If that is the case, did you make arrangements to pay this off over a period of time? You will have to pay your dentist a visit to try and get them to remove and not charge interest (if that was not in the original paper you signed). Remember; when you talk to someone at reception that does not mean the billing/finance department will agree or even if they know anything about the discussion.

It may just be a misunderstanding so go to their office and try to work out an agreeable solution.

Talk to the dentist personally. The staff can be difficult to deal with. The dentist makes the final decision!

Work done in December might not have a finance charge for 30, 60, or 90 days, depending on the office and the agreement. But FOREVER? probably not. Try to renegotiate and be prepared to look for another office or be overcharged in the future.

In any financial arrangement, parties should always complete an agreement on paper with dates and signatures before any work is done. Good protection to avoid problems.