Asian Chicken and Corn Soup Recipes

Category Soups
Asian Chicken and Corn Soup Recipes
Using the right spices adds an Asian flavor to this tasty soup. This is a guide about Asian chicken and corn soup.

This recipe is from the Penzey's catalog. The submitters are Irish, and according to them, this soup is served in every Chinese restaurant in Ireland. It has a lot of characteristics of egg drop soup. It is delicious, and is a meal in itself, at least for me.

Total Time: 10 minutes prep, 30 minutes to cook if you use premade stock, 15-20 minutes longer if you make your own.

Yield: 10

Link: Penzey's catalog

• 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 can (15 oz) corn (or 2 cups corn kernels)
  • 1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 piece (1-1 1/2 inch) fresh ginger, crushed or 1 tsp minced ginger from a jar
  • 2 green onions, chopped (I didn't have any, so I left this out)
  • salt, to taste
  • 2 eggs, beaten

1. Place the chicken in a saucepan in a single layer. Add just enough water to cover them. Put a lid on the saucepan and simmer until cooked through. Mine took about 18 minutes, but they were very thick.

Skim off any foam that you see.
  2. While the chicken is cooking, combine the two cans of corn and the chicken stock in a large pot and simmer about 20 minutes. An alternative is to wait until the chicken is done and use the water left from cooking the chicken. It takes more time, but I did it and it is totally worth it.
  3. Ad
  4. When the chicken is done, shred it.
  5. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chicken and ginger. Stir-fry it for 5 minutes.
  6. Ad
  7. Add the ginger and the chicken to the corn and stock pot. Taste and add salt if you want. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
  8. Remove the pot from the heat. Slowly pour in the eggs. Use a fork and gently use a figure-eight motion to swirl it into the soup.
  9. Ad
  10. Garnish with the green onion and serve.
  11. Ad

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what soup to make with my chicken bones tonight. This is the one! Thank you, Judy!

Glad you can use it!