Asking a Guy Friend to a Dance

Category Dances
Friendly teen couple pose casually for picture at a school dance
Asking a close friend to a school dance is not an uncommon occurrence. This is a guide about asking a guy friend to a dance.

I'm really good friends with this guy from another school. I haven't seen him in person for a couple months, but I talk to him on the phone everyday. I really like him and I want to ask him to my school's dance that's coming up. I want to ask him in a simple way, nothing fancy, but I don't know how to bring the dance up in conversation. I need help fast because I only have ONE WEEK until I have to ask him.

just ME! from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

Start talking about school then say my school is having a school dance, is yours? Hey I got a great idea want to go together?

And It is as simple as that.

Best Answer

If you talk with him everyday you must get along great. Just tell him about the dance and how you think it would be a nice/fun way for you to get together and hangout since you havent been able to hangout in a long time.

I would tell him as soon as you can though, just in case he makes other plans he cant get out of. And he'll have to make sure he can make it out to where you're out and have something to wear.

Best Answer

Bless your heart. Don't be shy . Just come out and ask him. I asked my husband to a play at my highschool. We've been married 36 years! Good luck!

Best Answer

Make him a candy bar card & have another friend deliver it or hang it on his locker. Buy candy bars & snacks, then work the titles into sentences. You could put stuff like:

"It's fun to be with you, because you make me"SNICKER".

"Going out with you would be "MOUNDS" of fun!"

"Be a "LIFESAVER" & go with me to the dance."

You get the idea - be creative & make it fun! How could he say no if you put a little effort into it?

How can I ask my guy friend to a semi formal dance? My crush and I have been good friends for a while and there is a semi formal dance coming up. I really want to ask him, but one he is a year older than me and I don't know of he will take me seriously. Secondly, I don't want to make this friendship weird. Please help!

By Taylor

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to ask him that will make sure that he will react in the perfect way. There is always a risk that he will either feel like you are more of a friend and he might feel a little uncomfortable, or that he might go with you and it might make you both feel uncomfortable later.

However, if you really, really like this guy and are willing to take that risk, then, hey, go for it! You have to be prepared for either possibility, but when you feel something special, it is worth the risk.

I would just straight out tell him that you think he should go with you to the dance. You don't have to even tell him that you want it to be as a date--you can just see how he reacts first. If he acts uncomfortable, you can say that you should just go as friends, if not, then just see where it takes you. Be ready for anything, and keep your cool no matter what happens. Good luck!

Best Answer

Just ask him! Go for it. You only live once, might as well have some fun. Take a risk. If you don't, you'll beat yourself up for not doing it because what if he would of said yes?!

My friend and I have been best friends since 5th grade. Now we're going into our freshman year and that also means homecoming. He is always kinda sad and he knows I'm always there if he needs someone to talk to. This year I want to ask him to homecoming, but I only want to ask as friends. My reason is that, I have a boyfriend, but we don't really want to go public yet. I already discussed this with him and he is fine with me asking my friend to the dance. My problem is, how exactly am I supposed to clarify that I am asking him to be my date to the dance, but only as friends?

Answers

I would be honest. Tell him he is a dear friend and you'd love to go to the dance with him and your boyfriend is fine with it.

I would let him know how much you value his friendship and how over the years the friendship has grown. Also tell him about your boyfriend if he doesn't already know. Be honest with him and up front.

I would tell him that you want to go to the homecoming dance with him and why you want him to go with you. I am sure he will be happy to accompany you to the dance.

Since you are already good friends talking honestly about the event should not be a problem but maybe you should start with a reminder that you and he are good friends and, as a friend, you would like to see him happy and you think the two of you going to this event together would make both of you happy.

If he knows about your boyfriend then you could also say that you have discussed it with him and the also thinks it is a good idea.

You do not say why he is "kinda" sad but if just being in your company - as a friend - makes him feel better, then he should be able to accept your offer/request in that same light.

Tell him you guys should go as friends in a friendly-suggestion type of way. Don't make it seem romantic or lovey in the least! Also make sure you mention a couple times your boyfriend is cool with it. It should be fine. Just make sure you come across as just friends from beginning to end. And have fun!!

Just be honest and explain it to him the way you did here.

Everyone I told you me and my boyfriend are not going public. Mine and my boyfriends mutual friends know about the relationship but we don't want anyone else to know yet. The friend I want to ask is not to know about the relationship quite yet. I just really want to know how to make it clear that I want to go as just friends.

You say all your mutual friends know about your boyfriend and you say the friend you want to ask is your best friend since 5th grade has not been told. So why aren't you ready to tell him about your boyfriend? You are very concerned in making sure he knows this is just a friendship date. Is it that your best friend has feelings for you and you know it? If so, he could get hurt if you tell him you have a boyfriend but you want him to go with you to an event as friends only.

Why can you not go public with your boyfriend? I suspect that your boyfriend is not a suitable companion for you and the adults in your life would not approve. Something is wrong here.

Bottomline, If you can't be honest with your friend, you need to find another date for homecoming.

That's very sweet that your boyfriend is allowing you to ask your best friend to homecoming.

Tell him, let's go to homecoming together as friends! Nothing further.

You're both friends since 5th grade so asking him to homecoming shouldn't spark anything. And he probably knows you have a crush on someone else like your boyfriend perhaps?

My parents actually really like my boyfriend, and his parents like me. In fact his sister is even one of my best friends. The reason we don't want to go public is because his parents are divorced and we want to wait till the whole custody thing is established. He goes back and forth between his moms and dads houses and We do not want to put more stress on his family by telling them about the relationship. I also do not was the stress of people trying to pressure us to do something that we don't want to do put on us. The friend knows I'm in a relationship he just does not know who the other person is. He does not know my boyfriend very well and even if I told him a name he wouldn't know who it is.

I have a friend in school and we have been good friends for quite a while. Yesterday I got thinking and I really want to ask him to my semi formal in December, but I have no clue how. Some details: I have a boyfriend that can't go to the dance, so I just want to go with him as friends. And I don't want him to think I'm hitting on him.

By Kaley G.