Australian Shepherd Breed Information and Photos

An affectionate, even tempered dog that originally was bred as a sheep herder. This page contains Australian shepherd breed information and photos.

The Australian Shepherd is an attractive, long-haired breed with a bobtail and a striking coat that varies remarkably in color. This breed is built slightly longer than tall, is fast and agile and possesses great endurance and herding instincts.

Australian Shepherd

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Ruby is a 1 1/2 years old Australian Shepard. We adopted Ruby 2 weeks ago at the Humane Society, along with a Border Collie we named Dash.

Ruby loves to play with her frisbee - she is a great jumper. She also likes to bark at airplanes as they fly over, snuggle with her new family and wrestle with her new brother Dash. Ruby is gentle and sweet, and learns something new every day!

By Shelli from Onalaska, WI

Ruby (Australian Shepard)

Comment Like this photo? 19

SayD is a 6 month old Australian Shepherd. SayD became a member of the family 3 weeks ago. SayD likes to run, and boy, is she fast! She will chase a ball and already knows to bring it back. When you tell her "go get your ball" she understands, and brings it to you. She loves her squeaky toys too.

A few times a day she just bursts with energy, and runs throughout the house as fast as she can, just whizzing on by, back and forth, for several minutes. She likes playing in the back yard best of all, and sniffing everything she sees. SayD is working hard and learning not to bite and chew everything, especially her people, and her "big" brother, Dallas. She learns really fast, though, so I'm sure she will stop chewing things soon.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Comment Like this photo? 10

Annie is a 6 year old Australian Shepherd that I received Annie for Mother's Day 6 years ago. She was a gift from my younger Son. Annie is the 'daughter' of my Son's dog, Raider.

Annie loves to play Hide and Seek. You throw a toy down the hall and then you run and 'hide' somewhere in one of the rooms and she comes and finds you. It's hilarious and lots of good exercise for both me and my dog. She also loves to play catch, but doesn't like giving it back.

She has been one of the best pets we have ever had. She is very loving and loves to spend all of her time with us and vice versa.

By Char

Comment Like this photo? 12

Dakota is 4 years old and an Australian Shepard. I picked her out when she was a baby and then visited her off and on and watched her grow.. I had just lost my Australian Shepard, Scout that I had for 10 years and heard about this litter of pups. I wasn't sure I wanted to get a dog so soon. Dakota crawled onto my lap and would not share me with any other puppy, I guess she picked me

She likes to retrieve anything and everything.. From sticks which we don't like her chewing or playing with to her toys to a blade of grass..Beyond me how she finds it but she finds the same one, LOL. A little obtvsessed with Fetch. She is my best friend and my 55 pound lap dog that watches with me and wants me to rock her on the rocking chair. No not spoiled at all.. ;)

By Cindy

Comment Like this photo? 11

Sparticus is a 5 month old Australian Shepherd. I got him from a breeder when he was 8 weeks old. I found him through the internet. He likes to play. He likes catching things and bringing them back to you.

Everyone that sees him thinks he is the cutest thing, a tiny black bear with one paw being white just adds to it. Some people have said things like, "oh he has a paw that is dipped in powder sugar".

By Holly

Comment Like this photo? 12

This is Gator, a toy Aussie pup with his dirty nose!

Puppy with dirt on his nose.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

My pride and joy, Freida! We had no idea how lucky we were when we adopted Freida at 6 months of age. She has been a wonderful companion for the last year and I can't wait for the many years to come!

Comment Like this photo? 4

Freida is a 1 year old Australian Shepherd. Freida became part of our home roughly six months ago. Freida has recently discovered her love for swimming! She also loves to fetch and cuddling with her people =).

Couple with dog.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Jasmine is a 5 year old Australian Shepherd I got from a breeder. She likes to Swim, play and she loves her soccer ball!

Jasmine (Australian Shepherd)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Lola is about 10 and an Australian Shepherd. She's a rescue, she was found injured beside a highway. We suspect she was thrown or jumped from the bed of a pick-up truck.

Lola (Australian Shepard)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got her when she was 8 weeks old from a nice lady who had rescued her mommy.

Taffy (Mini Aussie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3