Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

I'm looking for a recipe for authentic German potato salad. Thanks!

Cadia from ME

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

I use this recipe all the time everyone loves it.

• 1 tablespoon flour
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2-3 tsp. salt
  • 6 medium size warm red boiled potatoes peeled and cut to your liking.
  • 1/2 cup minced white onion
  • 3 to 4 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (but if you like bacon, as we all do, I use about 1/2 lb.)
Cook bacon and put on a paper towel to cool crumble up bacon, cut, or mince whatever you like.

In the drippings, stir fry 2/3 cup minced onion until golden.

Blend in 1 tablespoon flour, add 3/4 cup water and the vinegar, sugar, salt, and papper.

Heat and stir until mixture boils, keep warm. While potatoes are still warm slice or cube into a large bowl. scatter with bacon, pour the hot dressing over the potatoes toss gently to mix.

Great heated up in the microwave or even cold.

HINT: I cook my potatoes the day before and put them in the fridge much easier to peel.

By dadstiger

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

The recipe that dadstiger gives is almost the same as the one I was taught to make by my PA Dutch grandmother. the difference is she did not use flour she used 1 beaten egg to thicken it. Every person I have ever asked in PA Dutch country tells me that's how they make it. So try it both ways and good eating. (07/11/2007)

By tupelo granmom

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

How to Make German Potato Salad

German potato salad is made with a vinaigrette and served warm though we find cold German potato salad to be just as good. The vinaigrette is usually made sauce-like by cooking it with potato starch, corn starch, or flour.

If you are not familiar with German potato salad, give it a try. This traditional potato salad is made with sliced potatoes and plenty of bacon mixed with the potato slices. It is a very good version of the original.

• 1 lb. new red potatoes
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook the potatoes in salted water until they are tender but still firm. Cool them in cold water. Thinly slice the potatoes and set them aside.

2. Cook the bacon over medium heat until evenly brown. Let the bacon cool on paper towels to absorb the grease. Pour the grease from the skillet. With kitchen shears, cut the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces and set aside.

3. Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the corn starch, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook over medium heat until dressing is thick.

4. Add the potatoes, bacon, and green onions to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook until just warmed through.

By diana1117

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

Thank you so much for the recipes! These sound just like what I had at the deli, but just could not figure out all of the flavors. We all love it so I cannot wait to have some of my own. The deli is 2 hours from where I live so making it myself is a much better idea! (07/22/2007)

By spinwool

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

According to Paula and Horst, from the Black Forrest in Germany, bacon is not used in authentic German potato salad. Also, my husband, a professional chef, says the same thing. I guess the bacon must be an American thing. However, I still put it in mine, lol. (08/05/2007)

By Sandra

Spoon holding german potato salad over a bowl of same.
German Potato Salad Recipes
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Hot Potato Salad
Hot Potato Salad Recipes