Avoid "Death by GPS!"

Don't (pardon the pun) blindly follow your GPS, especially if you're traveling in remote areas. A Canadian couple, Albert and Rita Chretien, learned that lesson the hard way. They followed their Magellan unit's instructions...straight into a dead end in a remote area of Nevada. Rita was found earlier this month - after seven and a half weeks. Albert is still missing.

These handy-dandy devices can be great, in many ways. I'd love to have one myself. My sister flawlessly found my house from an unfamiliar location after my daughter's wedding in 2009. However, I think I'll be sure one of those outdated devices called a print map is also available.

Source: The CBS Early Show, 5/16/2011. Article url: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/16/earlyshow/leisure/gamesgadgetsgizmos/main20063222.shtml

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, Ohio

The one thing that has be remembered with the GPS systems, you have to update the maps in them. It usually is for a fee, yearly or life time. Small price to make sure that you have the current information.

We live so far back in the woods a GPS will not find us, much to the dismay of FEDEX and UPS. And that is our smile for the day. :-)

Amen JPJ! And GPS doesn't always tell you if the exit you need is on the left or the right and if you're on a highway or freeway you can end up having to do a lot of lengthy nail biting back tracking to get the exit you needed in the first place! Been there, done that. :-(

Having worked in a toll booth for 30+ years on an interstate you would not believe how many people were driving in circles trying to find a particular landmark. Unfortunately they were so focused on the gps that they failed to see the huge signs directing them! When we travel we go to AAA for maps and a "trip tik", and directions from the party we are visiting or at the very least a phone number especially if the destination is a motel. The gps does come in handy if one has to leave the planned route due to an accident or construction. Always rely on yourself as well as a machine.

My question is why didn't the Canadian couple turn the car around? And if the car HAD run out of gas why didn't they stay together?

My question is why didn't the Canadian couple turn the car around? And if the car had run out of gas why didn't they stay together?

Suntydt, The couple being spoken about here were in completely unfamiliar territory, driving from Pentiction, BC to Las Vegas, and got stuck in the mud in NE Nevada. If I remember correctly that is a mountainous area and still having Winter weather. If the GPS directed them the wrong way in the first place it probably would have directed him back the wrong way whether in the van or by foot. The husband had gone to try to get help after having been stuck for three days.

Deeli, keeper60 asked me on the phone today if the husband had been found? And Suntydt, I believe the GPS was malfunctioning. That's how they got lost in the first place.

I realize that we are probably what most people would deem to be overly cautious, and we've taught our children to never depend entirely on any kind of electronic device for anything and to always have some type of back-up information. Common sense is still the best of all tools to take with you every minute of every day.

I feel sorry for that poor couple and all they must have gone through. It had to be terrifying and I'm sure they had to be feeling so helpless. We may never know the whole story. God Bless them.

Thank you Jo for sharing the article.

Pookarina

JPJ, I just did an internet search and there is no new news about the husband being found and chances are he did not survive :-( She was found in early May and in the hospital for about a week or so because of her condition. In one of the articles about her rescue she mentioned she didn't think she would have made it more than a couple more days. She had the van for shelter and that probably is one of the reasons she survived. If you want to check now and then to see if there's an update with a Blessing he is found alive, their names are Albert and Rita Chretien.

What a sad thing to have happened to that couple though. They are in our prayers and I'm still hoping the husband is found before it's too late. I just can't imagine being in such a situation. God Bless them.

StarWarsCollector

Thanks, Deeli. I'll try to check now and then. They're both still in my thoughts, too. SWC... yes, it is sad. I'm no traveler, especially in remote areas. I can't imagine going through this situation, either. I hope this post helps others avoid what Albert and Rita Chretien experienced.

Better Living Safety PersonalMay 27, 2011
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
🎄
🍂