HealthPets

Avoid Zinc Ointment For Dogs

Please DO NOT put zinc oxide cream or ointment on your dog for itching from any cause. I did this without thinking, trying to help my Border Collie with severe itching, and he licked it all off. Zinc is a heavy metal and can be fatal, if ingested in adequate doses.

My dog was extremely sick for over 48 hours. He was vomiting, lethargic, having heavy panting, and, I would imagine, in pain. He would not eat, drink, or move. It scared me to death. I felt so bad for doing this to my baby.

Please learn from my mistake. Stick with A and D or Neosporin. These are not toxic. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I made.

By Wendy L. from Wilmington, NC

Top Comment

Really sorry to hear of this sweet Dogs distress and realize that you were only acting in what you thought was his best interest. Apparently you never contacted your Veterinarian in the first instance and never said (given you were so worried) called them to assist when your sweet boy became so sick after licking the ointment from his body (animals do that). Good luck in the future.