Avoiding Gluten In Your Diet

Category Dieting
Gluten is a type of protein found in barley, rye, and wheat. Surprisingly, gluten is found in many foods, where you would not expect it, as well as in pastas, cereals, etc. This is a guide about avoiding gluten in your diet.

I read an article that said that women who have never had a problem with wheat may develop a sensitivity when they are going through menopause. The sensitivity can cause stomach discomfort, joint pain, and intensify hot flashes. Since most women have eaten wheat products their entire lives, they are unlikely to suspect that is what is causing the problem. I did an experiment. I didn't eat wheat for a week. My hot flashes didn't disappear, but they became much milder. Then I tried eating wheat yesterday. Suddenly, I had joint pain, a bloated feeling, and worst of all, hot flashes that left me drenched and nauseous.

So, ladies, this is something to try if you suffer from hot flashes or if you have stomach discomfort after eating wheat. If it doesn't work for you, it will certainly do no harm and you might enjoy sampling the alternatives to wheat. There are many glucose free products that taste good to the whole family. We eat brown rice/pecan bread, and rice pasta. There are mac and cheese and other convenience mixes. Amy has a great pizza with a rice crust. IKEA does a delicious glucose free almond cake. Going wheat-free will cost more unless, perhaps, you make everything from scratch, but it may be worth it if it saves on physical discomfort.

By susannl from St. Cloud, FL

Interesting indeed, where was this article and by whom?

Can someone explain to me why is it that when I eat wheat bread (like on a sandwich) I always get a real tight, bloated and, stuffy feeling in my stomach? I heard that bread has an ingredient in it that causes this feeling? Any advice?

By Onesummer

Whenever I eat any bread that is called "whole grain, or whole multi grain" I end up feeling bloated, etc. If I eat just the plain cheap breads, I'm OK.

Try taking a "multi-enzyme formula" digestive enzyme every time you eat wheat, or foods containing wheat such as pasta, cereal. etc. It will help you digest the wheat completely.

I agree with Wholias. It sounds like celiac disease. Check with your doctor and get tested. You may need to eliminate all wheat products from your diet.

By all means get tested for celiac disease! This is one of the symptoms. My daughter has it and along with wheat she has to avoid rye,oats,barley.....just about every grain except corn and rice. It used to be diagnosed by endoscopy,but now you can just get a blood test for it. If you have it,you might want to get your children tested also,if you have any.

It sounds like celiac disease to me. Do foods like milk and cheese also upset your stomach and cause gas? A dairy intolerance is common along with celiac disease. Try going wheat free for a week and see what happens. You can always have your peanut butter on a rice cake. Let us know how you come out!

I would definitely go to the doctor and get them to do the initial blood work for celiac. If you do have celiac and it goes undiagnosed you could be at a greater risk for intestinal/rectal carcinoma not to mention just the damage that it will do to the lining of your intestines alone. So, don't take it lightly, get the test. They may try to say the insurance wont pay, but being symptomatic with intestinal problems you are having should be all they need to cover the test. Genetics can play a big part in celiac, but then again, I am the only one in my family thus far (diagnosed 20 years ago) that has been diagnosed, so it does not have to be in the family either for you to have it. Not trying to scare you; just some info to think about. It's a very treatable disease with some lifestyle changes. Good luck.

Boy, does everyone think it's celiac disease. I have actually looked into this, not impressed. If those of you & onesummer out there, think it's because you can't digest wheat & or grains, you are partly right, but if you have problems digesting bread, you more than likely have problems digesting other things. Things that are more important than digesting those high glycemic foods, that are not necessarily good for you anyway. Now to the fullness & bloating, that's cause the grains & fiber are fermenting in your stomach. Fermenting causes gas & expansion. What is happening is your digestion is slow, allowing the stuff to sit there too long & if it's slow, then you are not making one or more of the constituents needed to completely digest whatever gets to your stomach.

You are probably feeding candida, too. Insufficient digestive juices causes undigested food to get into your intestines & they leak through the intestinal walls, causing candida to grow unchecked. Then you are in a world of hurt. Candida is the bacteria that takes over when you die, to breakdown your tissues, the process of death. You need it in ur body, but not in overwhelming numbers.

When that happens & you feel the results, you need to work on it fast. The 1st thing to do is work on your digestion, this will stop the bloating, right now. Betaine hydrochloride w/ pepsin might help, it's cheap & easy to find. I used it for 8mo with only a 5%, maybe, improvement. You may have to get some HCl. Try the betaine, though stay away from the grains for awhile.. Look for a glycemic index, & stay at the top of it.

Remember the discomfort & bloating are only indicators that other stuff is off kilter. All of these symptoms that we go to the doctorr with, generally don't get looked at by them, as just symptoms that something is wrong. Do not let them give you anything that cuts down on stomach acid, somewhere down the line, you'll end up with something much worse than bloating. Most doctors don't know how to be detectives, and that is very sad for the rest of us.

If you can find the root cause of something & take care of that, then all the other things going on, that you haven't become aware of yet, won't get worse. Everything will get better. Most symptoms that so many of us experience, have much more profound causes & they are just trying to tell us,something is wrong. Unfortunately, most things the doctor tells you to take or writes a Rx for, just put band aids on the symptoms.

Think of the boy with his finger in the dyke. It only plugs the leak for a bit & then things escalate. Sometimes slowly, & it may take years to sprout up something designed to get your attention because you didn't listen the 1st time. The human body can usually heal itself, given the right stuff to do so. Remember that medical doctors were designed to treat emergencies, which they do well, but the rest of the time they are fumbling around in the dark. The operative phrase being "practicing medicine", usually on us, till they get it right & we pay the price in misery & pain. They don't have to live with our discomfort, and they put their pants on one leg at a time, like the rest of us, they are not gods, contrary to popular belief.

Check out candida & see if it sounds familiar, check out the symptoms of deficient gastrin, HCl & pancreatic enzymes. I haven't looked up fermentation, but it might be interesting. I lived with that bloating, discomfort, upset & diarrhea for over 5 years, my problem lasted almost 8 years, before I found out this info. I'd been to 7 doctors in the meantime. I suffered through their "cures". I found this stuff by myself.

Here's a nice thought, if you have bad digestion from not enough HCl, parasites get into your body & set up housekeeping. HCl is antibacterial, the stomach is "suppose" to b a sterile environment. HCl is suppose to kill any invading organisms that don't belong there. It also helps to completely breakdown your food to a liquid. Honest, a liquid. So when you see pieces of food in your feces, you got problems. Hope some of this is helpful I wouldn't want anyone out there to live with what I have.

I think the gist of all this advice is- do not ignore this as some quirky thing your body does. Try to keep a diary of what you eat and how you feel. Write down all symtoms even if they seem unrelated. After a while, analyze your diary. Take all the evidense to a doctor and if the doctor does not listen, go to a different doctor. And take as little medication as you can and still be healthy.

Does anyone have any ideas for cheap eats that are gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and that don't take much time to prepare? I'm allergic to all that and am spending far more than my budget will cover on food, plus I'm working on my master's and don't have much time to prepare meals. Thanks!

Shellee from Carson City, NV

a wonderful college professor makes these healthy cookies and put the recipe on the air. I couldn't believe it would work. It did and they are so healthy.

Healthy Cookies

3 ripe bananas, mashed

3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal

3/4 cup raisins, dates, figs or whatever you choose

nuts are optional

vanilla

Mix together and bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Are you truly allergic to eggs or is it maybe soy? Commercial eggs come from hens raised on a soy-based feed. I have a thyroid condition that requires me to avoid soy. As a result, I started my own flock of hens and I feed them soy-free food.

No, soy doesn't really bother me (except for the gas!) - eggs were my highest allergen, with soy one of my lowest. So I really do think it's an egg thing, darn it all! And I appreciate the cookie recipe, but oats have gluten, and they absolutely kick my behind!

If you want to know more about glutten,please get more info. about gluten and recipes and all the food that you can eat by going on glutenfree.com newsletter I think you will enjoy all that you will learn

Anita

Here are some websites one of my daughters has found helpful for my grandson who needs a gluten and dairy free diet:

http://www.gfcfdiet.com/

http://www.tacanow.com/

http://www.savorypalate.com/

http://www.allergygrocer.com/

The FEAT website is pretty good and has links to other things

as well.

http://www.featwa.org/

She recently made a delicious gfcf turkey/and

chicken sausage meatloaf using rice crackers from

trader joes (they're cheap) instead of bread crumbs of

course unfortunately worcestershire sauce has "natural

flavorings" which may or may not include gluten

http://www.reci  /recipes/lactose

Above is a website that might be some help to you. Good Luck!

I guess rice is your friend. A combination I like is cooked rice, celery, peanuts, and soy sauce. It's easy to make, can be eaten cold or hot, and has a nice, satisfying crunch. You can also add other vegetables and mushrooms. If you can eat potatoes, they can easily be microwaved in a few minutes and then you can add any topping in your repertoire. Plain old tomato paste is quite versatile, has no added ingredients, and is cheaper than most other canned tomato products.

I recently bought a used bread machine for $5, and if you can find gluten-free bread recipes, that's a cheap, quick and easy thing to do too.

Assuming you don't go into anaphylactic shock from your allergies, you might find additional help from a local nutritionist. For example, digestive enzymes and other supplements can help with your immune system or when you've eaten something you shouldn't've. Of course, check with your allergist FIRST!

I've dealt with similar food and other allergies for years, and have found that it's best to just do what you have to do. People, if they notice at all, will quickly get used to your new eating habits. They will pick up on your attitude - if you keep it simple, they will too.

And when people offer me forbidden food, this is what I say: "Oh that looks simply delicious. You are such a talented cook. Wherever did you learn to make something that scrumptious?" They usually don't even notice that I haven't eaten any of it.

Good luck on your master's degree.

Meat loaf is a good item that can be prepared in advance and frozen in separate containers and easily reheated. Also, instead of adding egg just omit it. It won't hold together like meat loaf when you cook it but you can still enjoy it I know but I love it and it's easier for me I don't have to buy an egg after all. Just add some tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce on top when almost done.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to wheat flour in muffin and cake recipes? I'd like to use rice bran and oat bran and perhaps soy flour, but I'm not sure of the quantities to use. Is there a tried and true recipe I could follow? Thank you very much in advance.

Virginia from Canberra, Australia

Anonymous

If you are looking for a gluten-free diet, avoiding oats of any kind would be best. Spelt also is not considered wheat free, but some people can tolerate it better than wheat. It makes a nice bread as works well for pizza crust.

There are lots of resources on the Web for baking and cooking with alternative grains (garbanzo, quinoa). Different grains are more suitable to different recipes and you might find you prefer one over another.

For an all-purpose baking flour, The Gluten-Free Gourmet and author, Bette Hagman, suggests

2 parts white rice flour

2/3 part potato starch flour

1/3 part tapioca flour

Mix together and store in a cool, dry place.

I use quinoa flour on its own for muffins and pizza crust.

Another pizza crust that's wheat-free, quick, easy and cheap are brown rice tortillas. They freeze well and are readily available in the States. After placing sauce and toppings, heat in a toaster over vs. a conventional oven. Don't overcook.

Good luck!

I bought brownies made with rice flour at Chamberlains Natural Foods and they were among the best I've had. You might try rice flour.

Is it a low carb alternative you're looking for? Flax meal and almond meal are good. Careful w/the flaxseed, it has a laxative affect.

I have many recipes that are gluten free. Mostly I use GF flour that can be purchase in health food stores. There is also a mix that you can make and keep and use when you need it.

Bette Hagman's mix is one:

2 parts white rice flour

2/3 part potato starch flour

1/3 part tapioca flour

Many recipes have a number of different flours in them...tapioca, garbonzo bean, soy, rice, corn. You can start by looking for recipes at

http://www.csac  .org/recipes.php

and

http://allrecip  n-Free/Main.aspx

If you are just allergic to wheat it gives you more options like oats. If you have recently been diagonosed with celiac, there are a number of helpful sites on line such as celiac.com that have information. I use corn starch to thicken anything that needs thickening. I use corn tortillas as my base for my "pizza" when I don't want to bother making a crust. Some of the cook books I have have great pizza crusts in them. Even my husband likes them:) If I can be of help and give you some of my recipes contact me harrietschipper@hotmail.com

I have been on a gluten free diet since I was about 20 and am now in my 60's:)

Harriet

This is also from "The Gluten-Free Gourmet" by Bette Hagman. As a general rule you can use the following substitutes. For each cup of wheat flour called for in a recipe substitute one of the following:

7/8 cup rice flour

5/8 cup potato starch flour

1 cup soy flour plus 1/4 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup soy flour plus 1/2 cup potato starch flour

1 cup corn flour

1 scant cup fine cornmeal

1 cup of the GF flour mixture (2 parts white rice flour, two-thirds part potato starch flour and one-third part tapioca flour)

Virginia,

I have a whole website devoted to gluten free baking and cooking, as I follow a gluten free lifestyle. I make lots of muffins! If you have questions just let me know! My website is http://www.gingerlemongirl.com

I also have other gluten free resources listed there! Happy Gluten Free baking!

I use (white or whole) spelt flour, as it contains more protein and less gluten than regular wheat flour, and am able to tolerate it better than oat flour. You might also like to try quinoa, millet, and amaranth flours; barley and rye flour work OK too. I use my regular recipes the first time and then adjust them if needed, most work fine. I personally do not like the taste of soy flour in recipes.

Does tomato paste or sauce contain any gluten? I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and have found most "sauces", including salsa, contain some gluten. I can't find how to ask Hunt's if there is any in the can of tomato paste I have.

Why aren't all manufacturers of packaged products indicating whether or not their products contain gluten, considering it is the newly-found cause of allergies, as well as harmful to a person with Celiac disease. Additionally, why don't manufacturers willingly provide a complete list of ingredients? They don't have to tell the quantity, for the public, so it should not endanger their recipe secrecy.

By BB

Last I knew their tomato sauce as well as paste is gluten-free BUT their ketchup & bar-b-que sauce aren't. I don't use any of these types of tomato products myself so I recommend to be safe that you try their site at http://www.conagrafoods.com. At the bottom of the page will be a Contact Us link. Another great resource is www.celiac.com for info, products & awesome forums. :) Stay safe & nice detective work on your part! :)

You may want to consider growing a few tomato plants and canning your own, so in the future you will know what is and isn't in them. It really is a lot easier than most think.