BCBS VS Medicare

I'm on Social Security. I have BCBS thru my wife's work. Is it necessary to carry Medicare?

I'm not retired yet, but my human resources department told me that when I hit 65, Medicare is the primary insurance, and any other is secondary. I will have to take Medicare. The good news is that once you take Medicare, the premiums your wife will pay for you for Blue Cross/Blue Shield will go down considerably.

Medicare is your primary insurance. Contact BCBS and see about changing your insurance to a supplement. That way all of your costs will be covered. My friend had BCBS, Then she had Medicare when she turned 65. When ever she went to the Dr or hospital, she had a big amount to pay that wasn't covered. Come to find out they were basically the same coverage. So what ever was taken first the other didn't cover anything. She went 6 years before she would let me check it out. BCBS should have let her know she needed a supplement. Instead she over paid for that 6 years. Of course they wouldn't reimburse her. A supplement pays the 20% where Medicare pays 80%.

I have BCBS and Medicare. Medicare is primary. BCBS pays all my co-pays. Its a great combo.

Thank you I am not 65 yet,but disabled and I have medicare as primary and BC/BS as secondary. Guess what BC/BS sent all my doctors a letter saying Medicare is primary so they didn't pay anything and my bills are triple digits.

It may be possible for you to contact BCBS and obtain information but since you are on your wife's BCBS policy she may have to talk to whoever handles her insurance at her work place.

They should also be able to tell her if there is more than one option and also how much money it will save on her current policy.

Also, they will be able to start the change over if medicare is decided the way to go.

I believe Medicare Part B premium is $134.00 in 2017.

Your local Social Security may also be able to help you but it seems BCBS is the one to ask.

If you have family coverage through your spouse's employee health plan, you should ask her HR department if you need Part B. If they tell you no, you don't need it that means her plan will remain primary coverage for you until she retires and you lose the coverage. So you tell social security you only want Part A, which for most people has a $0 premium. Then when your group plan ends, you pick Part B up (with no penalty) and make decisions about your secondary plan to cover what Parts A and B don't cover OR take a look at Part C (private insurance).