Baby Shower Ideas

Expectant mothers really enjoy having a baby shower. It is not only an opportunity for them to celebrate with friends and family, but also a time for them to receive much needed baby supplies. This is a guide about baby shower ideas.

Making Doo Doo Drop Diapers

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making doo doo drop diapers. These funky, chocolatey oatmeal treats are perfect for a baby shower when tucked into napkin diapers.

Baby Shower Cake Ideas

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about baby shower cake ideas. The cake is the centerpiece of a baby shower.

My daughter in law's baby shower had an "I'm about to pop" theme which was cute. We popped popcorn and put it into plastic containers and glued on printables that said "Ready to pop." We also handed out bags of popcorn with the same printable on them.

We also used Tootsie pops. We used an old tissue box we painted and wrapped suckers in coloured paper and put "I'm about to pop" on the box. These were used as party favours as well. We put small holes to hold suckers, cute decorations.

We decorated water bottles for the tables with a printable attached that said "Oops, my water broke!" We tinted it with blue food colouring since it's going to be a boy.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Cute idea!

Instead of the traditional games at a baby shower, the hostess introduced us to a representative from the Red Cross who instructed us on how to help a baby who is choking, and also how to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation for a baby.

This is quite a different idea for a shower. A friend of a friend lost all of her belongings in a house fire. An ad asking for help in the local paper brought little response. Why not have a disaster shower? People in need of baby clothes have baby showers. This person needs everything. So we did it. Lots of people came, bringing bags of new and used items.

Happy occasions aren't the only times for showers.

Fun baby shower game. Take some sticky name tags, put a name of a famous baby or mother on each one, (different name for each tag), then as the guests arrive put a name tag on their back, everyone can ask only yes/no questions about the person that is on their back. The first one to guess their name wins. Don't forget to include the Mom to be. You can use this game for any shower or party, just change the names according to the theme. This game is a really good ice breaker if you have a lot of guests that don't know each other. You can also add a time limit if you wish, but when we played it, it was kind of ongoing throught the shower.

Flower Themed Baby Shower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains flower themed baby shower ideas. A fun and easy theme for the expecting parents' party can be with flowers. There are a variety of floral invitations, favors and decorations.

I need ideas for giving a baby shower for a family member. I need something that wouldn't be very pricey, as I need to keep the cost down, but for it to still be nice.

By Becca from OR

Best Answer

Becca, I helped with the decoration for my daughter-in-law's shower. There are many decorations that that will look super, but cost little. How about the cake being a diaper? Just bake a 13x9 cake and cut bottom 2 corners off at angle. Spread with white frosting. You can even make big safety pins colored and cut out from poster board and stick on sides of diaper. Write a cute saying on the cake. You can also do the diaper cake and the new mom keeps it. How about a vase on main table filled with roses you make from infant socks (get from a dollar store)?

Do you like to paint? Dollar stores also sell onesies. Take fabric paint and make Mom an "original" onesie. For a game, cut little squares and fold like diapers. In one use a brown marker to make some "poo-poo". Punch holes and tie closed with ribbon. Insert a diaper pin in each. Give them to each guest as they arrive and tell them not to peek. They all open at same time and the one with the poo, wins. A little gift like stationary or such.

Hit the dollar stores. They have some great stuff you can use. Make sure someone takes lots of pictures! It is a special moment for Mom to be and someone can make a scrapbook for her as a gift someday. Another inexpensive thing is to make her a coupon book. If others want to join in, have each make their coupon (use all same size such as index cards). Offer a service like free babysitting for an evening. Sign your name and decorate the card. Put them together like a book. She will love it. New Moms appreciate all the help they can get! Have fun.

Just think inexpensive but sweet. You'll do fine!

Best Answer

As for games we had clothespins in the child's gender color (or you can use green if you don't know the gender) anytime someone said baby their clothespin got taken away. We played diaper your pal. We used toilet tissue and whoever diapered the other one fastest with everything covered won a prize. We had door prizes from the Dollar Tree. We played who can suck the sucker fastest without chewing it up; must be like using a pacifier. We also played baby bingo which you can find online and print off.

I did a diaper cake made from real diapers and little toys, thermometer and other goodies. Our prizes came from the dollar tree. A loofa sponge, pocketbook first aid kit, rubber ducky (for fun), and lots of other dollar things. We had a blast and divided up the food.

Good luck.

Gem

My DIL is having another baby girl, my other granddaughter is only 18 months old. We had a baby shower for the first baby, so she really doesn't need anything new. Would it be OK to have a mommy baby shower, you know things for the mom, not just the new baby? Or a diaper shower, where everyone brings diapers, you can always use those and with 2 kids in diapers it will get expensive. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Janice D.

Best Answer

We have had diaper/baby wipes showers, casserole showers (ready for the freezer), etc. The purpose of the shower is to help the family of the new baby with items they need so it makes sense to have a theme shower especially when it is a second or third child.

Best Answer

How about giving the gift of time?

Guests could make and give coupons good for babysitting, shopping, running errands, doing lawn or garden chores, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. Anything that would be a gift of their time.

I want to throw a baby shower using the gingerbread boy as a theme. Any suggestions on the decor?

By Sherry A

Best Answer

Unless you know the baby's sex, I would use both boy and girl gingerbread shapes. Make a fan fold of a large piece of brown paper and cut out a gingerbread person chain like the old style paper doll chains to festoon the ceiling. Add eyes and buttons with colored markers or paint. Use real ginger people to make a circle on the cake top. Put them so that a candle can burn in between each one if you like.

Send some pics, please.

I need some good ideas on throwing a baby shower.

By Sabrina from NC

Best Answer

For my sister's shower I made "bootie cupcakes" as a dessert. Each bootie took 1 1/2 cupcakes. The half was cut in the middle, so you end up with 2 round halves. Place a whole cupcake on a doily, place the half next to it. Frost as one (now it looks like a bootie) and, if you are a messy froster like me, put coconut on it. I also made "laces" with the write on frosting.

As for other food, I gave my daughter her baby shower and like you, was on a tight budget. So I did a breakfast one. I baked muffins in advance and froze them (to spread out the cost), ham slices (easier to cook than bacon and cheaper in the long run), scrambled eggs, home fries, fruit in a watermelon basket, and the muffins. It did not cost that much in the long run

Have fun and congratulations on the new baby

What about doing it at home and having a garden or tea party theme? You could make straw hats as favors and decorate in pink and blue. You could make a collage of baby photos of the Mom and Dad to be and use it on your buffet table and keep the menu simple. See how this idea was used for a bridal shower: http://www.thri  3126917.tip.html and adapt it accordingly. Could be very cute and lots of fun.

I'm having a baby shower in a couple of weeks and the theme is Blue Jean Teddy. I have the invitations done. I'm looking for some ideas for some decorations and centerpieces. Thank you in advance for any input.

Carla from Effingham, IL

I remember there being a large bear that you could write on with permanent marker. Have whoever shows up to the shower sign it. Especially when it's a baby shower. Have Teddy Grahams as the shower favors.

Does anyone have any ideas for a boy baby shower? It has to be cheap, I live on fixed income.

By Vguy from Earle, AR

Answers:

Inexpensive Baby Shower Ideas

Make it potluck. People are always embarrassed to ask for others to bring stuff, but I even made my wedding reception potluck. Everyone loves them, you get to show off your recipes. Make your own cake, it tastes better and is tons cheaper. You can get decorations in the crafts department of Walmart. Make up some cheap games. You can Google baby shower games, there are tons of them that only cost time. Go to Dollar Tree for prizes. (04/25/2009)

By micksgirl

Inexpensive Baby Shower Ideas

To cover the tables, use shower curtains from the $store. They are thicker than paper cloth, and if something is spilled you can just mop it up. You can get them in any color. (04/25/2009)

By Lynda (crabby)

Inexpensive Baby Shower Ideas

As a cute and inexpensive decoration, you can string a "clothesline" across the room and several people (usually the hostesses) can bring outfits for the baby. Onesies take up a lot of space, and a pack of them is cheap. Also, socks and bibs. This really is cute and appreciated. (04/27/2009)

By fab4mom

Inexpensive Baby Shower Ideas

For table decorations ask people if you can use some kid books and stuffed animals or you can go to a thrift store and buy them very cheaply. A potluck is a very good idea. (05/15/2009)

By 100299

I am throwing my daughter a baby shower. I need ideas for foods to be served and the theme of the party. Can you please give me inexpensive ideas? I am on a budget.

Pam

Answers:

Looking for Baby Shower Ideas?

Have you ever seen one of those tiered "cakes" made out of Pampers? They're very cool and usable too! They're not really cheap to make (because disposable diapers aren't cheap), but besides looking great, and being a great centerpiece, the mom gets all of these diapers to use afterwards. You can make one in pink or blue if you know the baby's sex beforehand. Or if you don't, use peach, turquoise, lavender, or my favorite baby color: mint green. Here's directions how to make a diaper cake: (with photos)

wikihow.com

babyshowerscentral.com

Free baby shower craft ideas and instructions:

babyshowerscentral.com

Handmade baby shower favors:

cutest-baby-shower-ideas.com

Baby sock "rose" directions:

cutest-baby-shower-ideas.com

My idea for the best baby gift:

A "coupon book" for the gift of sleep and (other things too). You know, one of the best things you can give a new mom is "sleep" and it's free! Not all new moms trust others to baby-sit their new little ones when they go out, but if someone were to watch their little one at their home while they were there, now that would be a different story. I remember getting no sleep at all when each of my kids was tiny. I know how hard it was to drag myself around in a "no-sleep" daze and care for the rest of my household duties. If I had had friends who could watch my other kids or even just the baby at my home while I slept for just an hour or so it would have been a Godsend. The pure bliss of just an hour of sleep. How can you describe it? If you're a mom, you'll know what I'm talking about. And by giving her a "coupon book" with coupons good for things like "one hour of sleep while I sit for your little one at your home" or something like this would be so helpful.

Or, having a coupon book for meals or house cleaning cleaning or just setting up a list of people who will make one casserole meal for each night for the first few weeks after the baby is born. This is so nice and so very helpful. These can be made for them, then frozen in their fridge, so no need to deliver them each day.

If the new mom has very little money, one of the best things someone can give her is car repairs, oil changes, and tune ups. This may not seem like "baby shower material", but there's nothing like having a good running car, to help keep a baby safe!

As far as the actual baby shower goes, I'd not stress out about it too much. Just decide on a color (or colors) scheme, then buy or make a cake in those colors. Hang up several strips of crepe paper in the same colors with a few balloons. Make some healthy snack plates (like cheese and fruit slices) with a yogurt dip for people to nibble on. Then come up with a game or 2 (from the Internet) for the guests to play and if you can, some party favors. And just have people over. The most important thing you're doing is: offering your house as a place for people to meet. Baby showers are about celebrating, about just being able to get together as friends and family, and that's what's important. (02/10/2008)

By Cyinda

Looking for Baby Shower Ideas?

For my SIL's baby shower I made an adorable baby carriage fruit bowl out of an oblong watermelon. The wheels were toothpicked on grapefruit slices. I filled the carriage with the cut up watermelon and other fruit. The guests loved it and a few even took pictures. If you are interested I will try and find a picture or send a drawing. As for a theme I picked the same theme she used for the baby's room, Noah's Ark. Have fun. (02/11/2008)

By BeeGwinn

Looking for Baby Shower Ideas?

As for other food, I gave my daughter her baby shower and like you, was on a tight budget so I did a breakfast one. I baked muffins in advance and froze them (to spread out the cost), ham slices (easier to cook than bacon and cheaper in the long run), scrambled eggs, home fries, fruit in a watermelon basket and the muffins, did not cost that much in the long run.

Have fun and congratulations on the new baby. (02/12/2008)

By Lois

Looking for Baby Shower Ideas?

Since the theme is "baby", why not serve baby carrots, baby peas (edamame peas), and those mini corns (you can buy them in cans in the Asian section of your grocery store). The entree can be mini pizza pops and cocktail wieners. For dessert, serve ice cream in mini cones or the frozen cream puffs. (02/14/2008)

By Juggs

Looking for Baby Shower Ideas

Baby bottle pops! (04/04/2010)

By dolphinfreak

I need party ideas for a friend's baby shower (girl), games, gifts, food, etc. I have never thrown or been to a baby shower before.

Kim from Nashville

Answers:

Baby Shower Ideas

An easy-to-do game I have used before is fun, easy and very frugal.
Make a list of items a baby uses or needs or even an action word will work. Sample list:

PARDISE
CARPFIE
ETOBLT

Ask the players to unscramble the letters as quickly as they can. Set a timer (according to how long the list is). Every player will need a copy of the list, pencil or pen and paper. It's likely they will be writing on their laps so make some magazines available to use as a writing surface.
When the time is up, the person with the most correct answers wins.

The dollar stores have fun little items that you can use as "prizes". They are even more special if they are wrapped up in pretty paper with cute bows.

If you plan on playing more than one game set the "prizes" out on a table and let the winner choose which one they want. Be prepared for a tie. If prizes are limited, have a second list you have made up ahead of time and let the tied contestants do a play-off. This time the one who gets all the words unscrambled first wins.

By the way, the answers to the scrambles above are:

DIAPERS
PACIFIER
BOTTLE

I did not check my own spelling, so please go ahead and do that. To add a little something special to another person's post regarding the guests each bringing a bag of disposable diapers, add something to the invitation that says everyone who brings a bag of diapers will get a raffle ticket or be in a special drawing (you can make these up yourself, something as easy as dropping a slip of paper into a hat or bowl with the guests name on it). Have a great time.

Oh, one more game I think is hysterical is to have a ball of string or yarn and a pair of scissors handy. Have each guest cut a piece of the string or yarn to the size of the mommy-to-be's belly, where she is widest around. There will be very short and very, very long strings. The one closest to the actual size wins. If there are a lot of people measure the mommy's belly then cut a string to that size to measure up against. If there are fewer people it's really fun and can become hysterical for each guest to measure her string around the guest of honor's tummy. Be sure to take lots of photos. (10/21/2008)

By Nancycorinne

Baby Shower Ideas

This is a corsage I made for my daughter's shower and it wasn't really expensive. Here's what you need:
Plastic spoons, pin backs, cotton balls, little bottles and babies, ribbon and flowers.

How to make:
Glue a cotton ball inside spoon, then glue baby and bottle onto cotton ball. Glue pin back to handle.
Insert ribbon through pin back and bring to front and glue down to front on handle. Then glue flower or what every you might want to use as decoration. Everyone like them. I got most of my stuff from the Dollar Tree and Wal-mart.
Good luck.

(10/21/2008)

By Pauley

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

Here's a funny and semi-yucky ice breaker-door prize game for a baby shower.

Take a stack of white paper napkins, and fold each one into a diaper shape. Pin the "diapers" shut with small safety pins. Make sure you have enough for each person to get one.

However, in the middle of one diaper, smear a bit of mustard on the "diaper", to simulate baby poop. Dijon mustard looks more realistic, but regular yellow mustard works, too.

After each guest selects a diaper, have the guests open them. The one who gets the "poopy diaper" wins a prize.

It's been a fun game and well received at every shower I've attended. It's very inexpensive to put together too.

(10/22/2008)

By KJ

Baby Shower Ideas

For decoration you can make a diaper cake or a diaper wreath. They are really very easy to make and a whole lot less expensive than buying them pre-made. (05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

(05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

(05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

These baby rattle balloons are really easy to make as well and don't cost much at all. If you search youtube for balloon baby rattle it will show you step by step how to make them.
Hope these pictures helped you. (05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

A baby clothesline is a great decoration at any baby shower. Very cute. (05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

I decorated a whole table for the mommy and daddy to be. I set the guest tables in a U shape facing the parents to be table. (05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

(05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

Baby Shower Ideas

(05/25/2009)

By tambri

RE: Baby Shower Ideas

I have a baby shower coming up in early July. My problem is that is my boss's wife who I am very good friends with.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I am throwing a baby shower at my house for my sister and my house is not big, just a modest ranch. We are having dinner.