Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I have a REALLY bad smell coming from all of the pipes in our house. It is worst in the kitchen but the bathrooms smell too. It is so bad I am embarrassed to invite people over to our house.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what can be done about it? Please help us make our house not smell.

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I had that problem also. I bought a big box of baking soda and spooned (It will just pile up on the bottom of the sink if you try and pour it down the drain) as much of it as possible down the drains and then followed with 1 cup of vinegar down each drain. Let it sit for a while before you run any water in the drain. I haven't had a problem with "drain smell" since then.

I also occasionally boil a big pan full of water and and pour it down each drain to get rid of soap and grease residue. (06/05/2006)

By SkyeBlue

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

Have you tried a Drain-o type product? That will get rid of any clogs that may be culprit. How about some of that septic system stuff that you add monthly? Are you on septic? Is your septic system backing up? That can definitely cause a bad odor!

We are moving to a farm, probably later this summer, so I will be learning quickly about septic systems. But at this point, I don't know much to help. Good luck! (06/05/2006)

By Crunchy Mama

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We had to have someone go on top of the roof, put the hose in the pipe that comes out of the roof (pipes that go to the bathroom), turn the hose on and blow it out. It really helped all drains, even the garage disposal that was stopped up. Try it. (06/06/2006)

By eve

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We use to have the same problem (when we would walk through our front door it smelled awful so I never wanted to invite anyone over), anyway, my hubby ended up crawling under our house because it got so bad. It turns out that we had a leak in the kitchen and it had created a "pool" under our house. So we called a plumber to fix the leak and they recommended putting some Lime stuff on the water to help kill the bacteria and all. And it is all better now, no smell! (06/06/2006)

By crys7881

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We had the same problem in both California and Nevada. Thought something had died in the bathroom. Turned out to be "hard" water standing in the pipes, toilets and sinks. If all the other suggestions fail, try testing your water by putting a drop of liquid detergent in a jar, fill the jar part way with water, put the lid on and shake. If you don't get lots of suds "hard" water may be your problem and you might want to consider a water softener. We did, and the horrible smells went away. Good luck. (06/07/2006)

By ShellyE

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I would check with a plumber as soon as possible. We had a house like that once and it was a really old house that had an open cistern under the house that some dingbat had run the sewer pipes through. After living in the house with 4 kids and 2 adults eventually the sewer backed up into the cistern. Totally unhealthy fumes in the house, yuck! Good luck. (06/08/2006)

By carla

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes
A woman holding her nose.
Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House
Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
Remedies for Stinky Pipes
Car Air Conditioner
Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing