Homemade Bagel Recipes

Category Breads
Making Bagels
These dense, chewy breads are boiled before baking and best as fresh as possible. This page contains bagel recipes.

If you own a bread machine, please try this recipe!

My family loves the bagels at the local bakery that are stuffed with cheddar and jalapenos and those stuffed with feta and dill. The problem is that they cost about $3 apiece. I always thought they'd be difficult to re-create, but they aren't. I played with a recipe a few days ago and was able to make bagels that are every bit as good as the ones at that bakery. My family couldn't believe that they were homemade. I am so thrilled that I want to share the recipe with the ThriftyFun community. The following is the recipe for basic bagels. Following that recipe are the instructions for stuffing the bagels to make the fancy ones that are oh-so-good!

Ingredients

Directions

Put these five ingredients into the bread machine and set it up for the dough cycle. At the end of the dough cycle, take out the dough, divide it into 6 equal pieces, shape the bagels, let them rise about 10 minutes, boil them in water for 30 seconds per side, and then bake them at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.

If you want to make the fancy, delicious, stuffed ones, divide the dough into 6 pieces, and shape each piece into a flat rectangle that's about 2 or 3 inches by 6 to 8 inches. Put some shredded cheddar and jalapeno pieces down the middle of the bagel, pull up the sides and pinch them firmly together (the stuffed ingredients must be tightly sealed inside), and bring the ends together to create the bagel shape. Then allow those bagels to rise, boil them, and bake them just the same as the recipe above. Another good stuffing alternative is to use feta cheese and some dill to stuff the bagels.

I am so pleased about how these taste that I want to make even more. I am just sure there are some bagel stuffing ideas out there that you ThriftyFun people can share with me. I can't wait to hear your ideas!

Just read your recipe. Sounds good. Your prices must be very high where you live. I can get bagels here from our Tim Horton's for $4.95 for a dozen.

Wish I could pass you some. They are really good.

I am always looking for new recipes for my new breadmaker. I am sure I haven't quite met the full potential of it yet. Thanks for the great recipe, I LOVE bagels. I am definitely going to try this recipes. Sounds sooooo good.

What kind of flour are you using?

Is there something missing from your recipe? Sugar was repeated twice. I want to try bagel making! Do you boil in salted water? If so, how salty?

Thanks.