Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Baking With Self Rising Flour

Self Rising Flour

A flour that has leavening and salt already added to it. This guide is about baking with self rising flour.

Share a solution for this guide today!

Here are questions related to Baking With Self Rising Flour.

Question: Substituting With Self Rising Flour

If a recipes calls for flour, baking powder, and soda can I use self rising flour instead? If I can, how would I measure it to be the same?

By Laura

Best Answers

By Louise B.03/23/2009

If a recipe calls for baking soda, it usually has an acid along with it, such as buttermilk or vinegar or cream of tartar or sour cream. If you totally omit the baking soda, and have an acid, you will not get the desired result in your recipe.

I believe that self rising flour contains baking powder only. It should substitute nicely for the same volume of regular flour and baking powder.

Best Answers

By Joyce03/23/2009

Measure the flour the same. Just omit the baking soda and baking powder.

Question: Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Can you use Presto self rising flour to cook chicken wings?

By niteagle77 from East Hampton, NY

Best Answers

By Rosemarie03/31/2010

It is fine to use that. The only difference in self rising flour and all purpose is that self rising flour has salt and baking power added to it. It is about 1/2 tsp each for every cup in the bag. Hope that helps.

Best Answers

By christi06/19/2006

Self rising already has the baking powder and salt in it, so just leave those out when using this flour.

Question: Baking with Self Rising Flour

Do you put baking soda in self rising flour?

By Rosie

Best Answer

By frances11/24/2011

Not unless you are using a recipe that specifically calls for self-rising flour and baking soda.

Question: Substitution for Self-Rising Flour

Can I use plain flour and baking powder instead of self rising flour?

Patsy from Tilsworth, United Kingdom

Best Answer

By SL Edens03/20/2007

Yes you can, Patsy. For every 2 cups of flour, add 1 Tablespoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt....sift it all together :)

Question: Baking With Self Rising Flour

Do you still need yeast to make bread with self rising flour?

By Jerry from Kerrville, TX

Most Recent Answer

By jan nash04/09/2010

Yes certainly. You also need Strong Plain Flour which is specially for breadmaking. It contains a lot more gluten.