Basic Dog Training Tips

Basic Dog Training With Clicker
In order to help your dog learn some basics, you need to be taught some things, too. This guide is about basic dog training tips.

An empty pop can with a few pennies or washers in it. Put a small piece of duct tape over the hole to keep the pennies in. When dog exhibit inappropriate behaviour, just shake the can. It gets their attention in a hurry!

By KathyC

When teaching a dog to "come" by saying "come" or calling their name always praise them or give them a treat and make a big deal when they come to you. This will encourage them to always come when called. Be sure to never call your dog to you, then scold them for anything. Doing this teaches the dog that if he or she comes when called, they get scolded or punished for coming to you.

This also means if you use your dog's name as the come command and expect them to come running when you call you can't use their name to scold them. Saying "Fido!" when you want them to come and then "Bad Fido, bad dog!" will teach them not to come to you when you say their name. Be sure you and anyone else who's in contact with your dog all use the exact same commands. Consistency is key to any successful training. It's best to sit down and be sure you are all using the same words to train the dog, this should include your kids too.

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

Training your dog can be a long and sometimes complicated process, but there are some basic things that you should keep in mind.

1. Before you start to teach your dog a new trick, make sure "you" understand what you want him to do. Let's say you are teaching him to sit. Do you want him to respond to a verbal command? A hand signal? Both?
  2. Advertisement

3. Repetition is key. Like the old saying goes, practice makes perfect.
  4. Consistency is ultra-important. You need to ask for the trick the same way every single time. If you are using a verbal command, say it the same way every time. If you are using a hand signal, make the gesture the same way every time.
  5. Your voice and gestures need to be clear and firm.
  6. Positive reinforcement always works better than punishing errors.
  7. Don't reward bad behaviors. If your dog doesn't do the trick you want when you ask, he doesn't get the treat. End of story!
  8. Dogs are eager to please. They want to do what is going to make you happy (and make you give them the treat!)
  9. Dogs aren't stupid. If he understands what you want, he will do it.
  10. Dogs aren't mind readers. If you are teaching a dog to sit, it may help for him to see another dog sit on command, or have you push down gently but firmly on his rump while saying "sit". (Or whatever phrase you choose.)
  11. Dogs, like people, learn at different rates. Some breeds are known for being quick learners; some breeds are not as quick.
  12. Teach and practice tricks when your dog is alert! Just after a meal or late at night, he will be tired and sluggish and not as interested in what you're asking.
  13. Keep the lessons short. If your dog starts to get bored, he's going to stop paying attention and then you're both going to get frustrated.
  14. End lessons on a positive note. The last thing you should ask for during a lesson is a trick that your dog knows and performs well.

Whether you are teaching your dog the basics (sit, stay, and heel) or more complicated tricks, it's a great way for you and your pup to bond.

By Catherine Forman

I learned from one of my classes on dog training, that I was doing two things wrong.

First, I was not giving the dog I was training 3 to 4 seconds to respond, before helping it to do the right thing, and second, I did not use high enough value treats at the door, and at the door only to get the dog to come to me when I called him.

I hope this might make training easier for someone. I enjoy my doggies so much, they are my babies!

I have a Rednose Pit Bull. Can anyone help me teach her how to go down the stairs? It's like she knows then she doesn't. I really need help teaching her.

It should be pretty easy. Take a treat she really likes, such as chicken pieces. Make sure she can smell it. Move two steps below her with your hand out. Make her go down a few steps before you reward her. Then a few more steps.

When you get to the bottom, bring her back up and do the whole thing again.

Do this exercise often and she will get over her fear of the stairs.