Bathroom Cleaning Tips

Category Bathroom
Cleaning Shower Grout With Toothbrush
Having your cleaning supplies and tools organized can help you get the job done. This guide contains bathroom cleaning tips.

I tried cleaning the bathroom with Turtle wax. The sink came out pretty shiny. Next I am going to do the tiles with it.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

As I am old and lazy, this tip is the best for me. Instead of using a cake of soap in the shower or bath, use liquid soap. Liquid soap is easier to handle and does not leave a thick film of soap scum on bath or shower tiles or glass. Laziness is no good unless carried out well, so liquid soap will allow you to clean your bathroom in minutes, instead of the hard work of yesteryear.

Source: My daughter-in-law, Donna

By Jean from Maffra, Victoria, Australia

Prevent having to clean soapy scum from the soap dish or at the sink by placing a thin sponge in the dish or sink indention to lay the soap on. The sponge catches the scum, leaving underneath relatively clean. It also does double duty because you then have an already soaped sponge to use for some utility duty.

By Trace from Wartburg, TN

I just discovered my bottle of toilet cleaning liquid cleans a lot more than the toilet. I used it on a badly stained bathtub that just would not come clean. I poured the liquid in the tub, used a household broom to "scrub" it in and let it sit overnight. When I washed it down the next morning it was good as new.

It also worked on the glass shower doors - removing scum and hard water spots. Then I decided to try it on my faucet that had hard water stains which even vinegar would not remove. It worked like a charm and seems to make them easier to clean now. Good luck!

Source: desperate for a remedy -- tried it and it worked!

By Linda from Ashdown, AR

If you are using bar soap in your bathroom and hate the goo that accumulates in the soap dish, put a small sponge under the soap.

By Linda

Since the only females in our household are me and the cat (and she drinks from the toilet, go figure), I find myself needing to spruce up the bathrooms quite regularly. I'm particular about the toilet and sinks. The rest of the household could care less. It's no fun getting all dirty to get the bathroom clean. So, I have a quick and simple 4 step solution for cleanups:

1. Ban all wall to wall carpeting and any rugs that can't be machine washed regularly from the bathroom. I use cotton rugs or bathmats made from toweling. I wash these weekly.
  2. Before showering, I grab a squirt bottle of cleaner (I favor a popular brand of multipurpose spray made with vinegar) and squirt it generously over sink areas, then likewise generously on the toilet surfaces.
  3. I keep a brush by the toilet and small extra rags under the sink. I grab these and hit the sinks quickly first, then after brushing the toilet, I wipe it dry with the toweling, then toss the towel in the laundry room. The game is to do this as quickly as possible because I'm already running the shower to warm it up.
  4. Advertisement

5. Because it doesn't have any bleach on it I can wash the rag with my towels. The bathroom is ready for another day and so am I.

By nhe from TX

Toilet scrubbers are useful to clean far more than just toilets. Their bristles do well for scrubbing a tub or sink, especially when combined with a gritty cleanser like Comet.

When cleaning bathrooms, I spray cleansers. Let it set for 15 minutes then come back and scrub.

Here's a way to keep your bathroom(s) clean. Put a bathroom cleaning kit in the corner of each bathroom. Start with a small bucket or a cut-off plastic jug (laundry detergent jugs are excellent for this).

After many years of using old toothbrushes and anything else I could think of to clean the hard to get at spots in the bathroom, I stumbled across an easy solution.

Toilet scrubbers are useful to clean far more than just toilets. Their bristles do well for scrubbing a tub or sink, especially when combined with a gritty cleanser like Comet. They do a nice job on mildew in grout crevices.

A good way to keep your tub or shower clean is to wipe it down after you use it. You can do it with the towel you use to dry yourself. You tub will require cleaning much less frequently.

Tips to help keep the bathroom clean. Post your ideas.

After brushing your teeth in the bathroom sink, instead of just rinsing out the sink, take a sponge that you keep on the edge of the sink and scrub out the sink. If you do this once a day your sink will never be dirty!

By Ellen

Hang an old washcloth on a hook in the cupboard under your bathroom sinks. Use it to wipe up spills and the water that splashes onto your counters.

By Lee

use paper towels and alkahol to wipe up the faucet handles and the sink after you brush your teeth. not only is it clean but sanitized.

Being the ONLY girl in the house of 4, the only time the bathroom gets cleaned is when I do it. So, I keep a cheap bottle of dish detergent and a plastic scrub sponge in the shower. When I am done showering - before I get out - I aim the detergent at the walls, squirt and scrub. After I get out I do the same to the tub. You will be amazed how sparkling and how quickly it gets done! (Finish up with a shower protectant spritz spray.)

By Shannon

When I buy cleaning products I buy in bulk, and stash them in each room/or "cleaning stations" as I refer to them. So, yes, that means I own 3 canisters of quick clorox wipes (one for each bathroom, one for the kitchen), 3 sponges, 3 Pinesols, 3 Windexes, etc. That way the cleaning supplies are already there in place. I find it helpful too when last minute company gets here--to just excuse myself to the restroom and do a quick once-over.

Hi i also use sunlight dish soap in my sink and tub comes out very nice and shinny.

After showering, occasionally throw the damp towel on the bathroom floor and walk around while shuffling your feet. The floor gets a quick clean up and the towel goes right in the washer!

By Diana

By Diana

I keep a squeegee on the wall below shower head for easy cleanup after showering. No cloudy doors for me.

After cleaning faucets, polish with baby oil. It keeps them clean for a good while.

After someone has been sick I drop an Alkaseltzer tablet in the toilet and close the lid and walk away. 30 minutes later I give it a quick swipe with the toilet brush and it sparkles. And smells great.

It's not fun but has to be done. Tips for cleaning the bathroom. Post your ideas.

When cleaning the bathroom, be sure to wipe down the door or wall behind where you stand to use hairspray because, although invisible, the spray actually builds up on the surface!

By droberts48

Each time my husband or I take a shower, we dry off in the shower, then use the towel to wipe down the walls and floor of the tub. This saves on water spot buildup and keeps the shower nice all the time. I learned this from a dear old friend who is no longer with us. When she passed away, her home was almost like a new one inside even though it was many years old.

I always use a bottle of 50/50 water and white vinegar and spray down the toilet and give it a quick wipe with a bit of toilet paper. I also spray down the counter with a damp wash cloth and the vinegar mix. I also spray a little mist of vinegar solution in the waste basket. About 30 minutes later the vinegar odor is gone, as is any other odors that may have been there. Note: I blame ThriftyFun.com for my obsession with the many uses of vinegar! ;)

What is the easiest and quickest way to clean two bathrooms? I have two full bathrooms and a six month old little boy. He is in to everything so I can't leave him to do it and I was told not to let babies get around the smell or cleaners because it is bad for them. I could probably do it in the time that he is sleeping but he only takes 15 minute naps now so it has to be very fast! What takes the dirt out of a tub the best? I can't find anything that works good. Thank you! eescott182002 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Erricka, North Carolina

By guest client (Guest Post)

have you heard of Enjo products? I use them with my two small children helping all round the house, they use special cloths and only cold water. So there is no need to purchase expensive chemicals that can harm our children and the enviroment.

http://www.enjo.com.au

By guest client (Guest Post)

Vinegar is a very good cleaner and disinfectant. The smell disapates quickly. Also, I really like using Dow Scrubbing Bubbles on everything.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I would restrain your child so you can have 15 minutes to clean knowing he is safe. They probably have whoopy doo modern name for them now but mothers a few years ago used to deposit their toddlers in a play pen - a small square/oblong enclosure with narrow bars, (too narrow to poke little heads through), or netting walls about 2 foot high. Place the baby on a soft blanket with a few bright toys to distract/entertain and allow yourself some quality cleaning time! lol! The play pen can be placed in the same room as you are working, or outside the room door, so he is not isolated and you can still see him without him getting underfoot and into everything.

Regards

Jo

By guest client (Guest Post)

There is a product called 505 at Home Depot. It is a spray and is purple. Spray it on and let it be for 10-15 minutes. You can practically rinse everything right off!!!

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have been using the Mr. Clean Eraser sponges on my tub and shower floors. It is like a baking soda sponge that gently rubs off dirt. No chemicals at all!

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have 4 children and worry about the effects of chemicals on them. I clean almost everything with vinegar and/or baking soda. If the chemicals aren't good for your child, they probably aren't good for you either. For tough spots, use a rough sponge to help you clean. By the way, outdoors chemicals worry me too - we use vinegar as a weed killer.

Do you clean your bathroom with a sponge or papertowels?

By Onesummer

I had foot surgery a couple weeks ago, and I am in a non-weight bearing cast. I still want to do some house cleaning and the bathroom was giving me a hard time. I found if I used a new toilet bowl brush, I could sit on the toilet seat and scrub the tub without too much trouble. It was too much effort to stand with crutches and I sure didn't want to get on the floor.

By Leann from Columbus, Ohio

Answers:

Use A Toilet Brush For Scrubbing The Tub

I like to use a corn broom (I think that's what you call it). It scrubs my tub in all angles and then it also clean the broom at the same time. I love this method

I hope you heal fast. (01/23/2007)

By nmcl

We are moving and I am trying to get things clean for the next tenants. I was very discouraged trying to get the glass shower stall clean. My friend told me to use toilet bowl cleaner. I couldn't believe it. It worked wonderfully. I purchased the cleaner at the dollar store, poured it on, waited and rinsed. It was amazing!

A warning for ceramic walls and shower floors. If you leave the cleaner on too long, it will eat the enamel, so be careful.

By Michelle from Spencerville, Ontario

Answers:

Use Toilet Bowl Cleaner to Clean Glass Shower Stall

Be careful to keep the toilet bowl cleaner off the metal parts of the shower like faucet, knobs, etc. The cleanser can harm the chrome finish. The metal will be dark and dull. (11/02/2009)

By OliveOyl

Does it get off mineral deposits? I have tried everything including Lime Away and cannot get the doors cleaned! (11/04/2009)

By joynchocolate

Shampoo works just as good, the cheaper the better. (11/04/2009)

By downunderchick