Bathroom Vanity Unit Has Bad Smell

The unit is 6 months old from Harvey Norman. I think it is melamine. It has a terrible chemical type smell. I have washed it and put perfumed things in drawers, but nothing helps.

By Carol H. from Sydney

Just a thought, but are you sure it is the vanity and not a smell coming out of the walls or the water pipes? If you think it might be the pipes, talk with a plumber. If you have something dead inside the walls that could be it, also.

If the vanity is melamine . It is the melamine it has an extremely stron chemical odor that last for months and more! I am currently looking for something to stop it. Someone online recommended Odor Sponge but don't know if this works

I would talk with the people you bought it from and maybe they can suggest something to kill that smell of the melamine without harming it. What about a box of Baking Soda? I figured if it keeps the smells out of the fridge why not your cabinet, can't hurt to give that idea a try course it might take a few days but see what happens. Good Luck!

Try talking with the place you bought it from they might have an idea or maybe you can try some Baking Soda, I figure if it works in the fridge why not your cabinet, put a box underneath and on top of the cabinet and see what happens after about a week, can't hurt to try it.

Just been delivered a wood sideboard from Harvey and have been overwelmed with the diesel/petrol fumes..making the whole flat smell and causing headaches and nausea..they are coming out tmorrow to check..let's see what they say.