Beading Tips and Tricks

Category Beadwork
Beading on Elastic Cord
Whether using large or small beads, there are ways to make it easier to complete your projects. This is a guide about beading tips and tricks.

When stringing many beads together, use a silicone baking sheet. It's flexible and holds the beads in place. Using a large eyed stringing needle makes a perfect combination for fast beading without having the beads fall all over, everywhere.

By Sandra B. from Montvale, NJ

This is link for a site called Beadage which offers free instructions and online tutorials for making jewelery. In addition, it gives you ideas for ways to sell your own designs online and the chance to upload pictures and instructions to show others how to make your projects. I have been using the site for month and have received no spam at all as a result, which is always a good thing!

http://www.beadage.net/index.html

By mrs christmas

When beginning a new craft, such as beading, it is a good idea to identify and purchase at least the basic tools and supplies so that you can get started creating. This is a guide about basic tools and findings for beading.

Basic Tools and Findings for Beading

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Most of us beaders have a lot of plastic multi-slotted storage boxes and they get heavy. Pulling one from a stacked group can be difficult with the chance of an avalanche. I have been able to obtain good quality plastic paperwork stacking trays at yard sales usually for 25 cents each. I stack the trays up and each one holds one of my multi-slotted bead storage boxes. It is much less work pulling out and putting back the storage boxes.

Only caution - if you do not obtain all the trays at the same time, be certain they are compatible for stacking.

By Grammy007 from Nashua, NH

When you are at your next garage sale or when you are planning your own, look and see what shape your cupcake tins are in. If you decide you want to get rid of them, think again, these make great storage for beads and a great place to sort those beads that come in an assorted package. Spray paint them bright colors and you will always know where your beads are.

By Debra in CO

I use silicone cupcake bakeware for beading with smaller beads. I use one cup for each color and just roll each bead up the "flute" and put it on the needle or string. It makes the project so much more quicker and easier to do.

Source: I used to work at an Arts and Crafts store that also sells bakeware. The idea came to me when I was restocking the bakeware shelf one day.

By Jan from Bucksport, ME

If you work with glass beads in your stitching, this tip might help to keep them in place. Wrap a piece of cellophane tape (sticky side out) on the forefinger of your non-stitching hand. Now you can pick up and hold all the beads you need to work with just by dipping your finger into the container holding the beads. It is amazing how much faster the beading goes.

I have used this idea when sorting beads as well, when the colours are all mixed together, I take a large flat tray and sort them into piles of each colour, by using the tape it is easier to pick them up and place them in their separate containers.

By Leanne from Williams Lake, B.C.

Instead of buying a "bead scoop" why not use a metal Chinese soup spoon! Very inexpensive, I got mine for about .50 at an Oriental market. It scoops and pours with ease.

What is a beading ring and how to use it?

This is a very vague question I'll give you an idea & after you can define more specifically we can go from there!

1) beading rings are ring forms in which you bead seed beads or crystals onto with a beading needle

2) Jump ring tool is a plier with 1 straight edg the other with a 90 degree downward bend at the tip these are used to open split rings etc

3.) Jump ring tool it is rounf ring shape with 2 slits in it to place your jump ring in & evenly split it open to place your clasps and to close correctly without misshaping your ring

I'd like to jazz up some of my wardrobe by adding beaded trims. Does anyone know what kind of beading thread is machine washable? Thank you!

By Stephanie

Any non-disolving thread is washable. Best to use NEW thread that is less likely to be brittle, fray or break and match thread to type of fabric. A cotton thread in a stretchable polyester will fabric break etc. There are also good quality glues for beads, jewels onto fabric that are washable.

Make sure to turn items inside out and be kind to your handiwork; wash on a gentle cycle and hang to dry.