Bee Trap for Trapping Yellow Jackets

I saw this tip in "Country" magazine years ago and use it every year to trap yellow jackets and hornets. I have this one hanging in the grapevine. The yellow jackets like the apple juice better than the grapes. Lures them right in and they can't get out.

Take a gallon milk jug and cut an upside down V shape in the side 2/3 way up on the jug. Press the tab in. Pour fruit juice ( I use apple) 1 inch deep into the jug. Put the cap back on the jug and hang. Insects enter through the hole and can't get out.

By Betty from North Carolina

I wonder if that same idea works for pesty flies too? I think I'll try it. Thanks!

It should. I've used apple cider vinegar for fruit flies for the past ten years.

I like this idea. My mother in law tried the water in a bag for flies. It didn't work.

Did she put pennies in the zip lock bag of water

Pinesol and water 1/2 and 1/2 in spray bottle for flies. Spray where you do not want flies.

What a great tip. This is one I must try. Thank you Betty.

Would this work for Japanese Beetles? They are destroying my grape vine, plum tree, string bean plants and potato plants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

asellars AT roadrunner.com

For flies, try www.fliesbegone.com -- the traps get loaded with flies within a day. Very gross, but it works.

Also a great tip a friend gave you know those fat bumble bees that hang around your porch and stuff. Well if your porch and roof is made of wood look around for any small holes then stuff the hole with a piece of cotton and the bee will leave. It does work.

It works for flies, too. Best bait for flies is a bit of raw meat. Fish heads, fins, tail,. Raw hamburger. Meat trimmings. Doesn't take much. Just don't hang it near your door. Smells bad! The flies WILL find it. For disposal, dig a hole in the garden, pour them in, cover. Refill jug, rehang.

The milk jug trap with apple juice in it will attract and trap Japanese hornets, black hornets, moths, fruit flys, yellow jackets and lots of house flys. The grapes are all gone now but I still have 2 traps hanging on the outside post as I found it is catching so many pests. The more it stinks, the more it attracts but I do empty them out weekly and change the juice. That's when I have seen how many different insects were caught.

Thanks so much for the tip my mom is highly allergic to any type of bees. So I think this year we will be trying this.

Thanks so much!

Will it attract wasps also? Desperate to be rid of them.

Betty, we would buy your yellow jackets. We do not have enough to pollinate our garden and it is dying. So sad. Bees die and we all die.

Nice to know for next year. Didn't need any traps or spray with wasps this year after taking care of one nest before it got too big. Though the flies were a pain in the rear. I had a fly trap already bought and it filled up real quick with the the days. Had another put up and I had to dump it twice.

Yellow jackets and wasps are good for the environment and if possible, just stay away from them and let them do their thing. They contribute to our food chain by pollinating.

I have a pear tree in my backyard, and I run an in home daycare, so this is where the children play. I have had so many bees and yellow jackets in my backyard all summer long, I like this idea to get rid of the yellow jackets. Do not mind the bees as they are doing good things, but the wasps are so bad in my yard. This is so much cheaper than what I have been using. Thanks for the tip will try this!

Bee Trap
Making a Bee Trap
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsSeptember 3, 2008
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
yellow jackets in a house
Getting Rid of Yellow Jackets in Your House
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎄