Benefits of Using Real Butter
Many people believe that butter is a very unhealthy food and choose margarine instead. In truth there are some documented reasons that butter, in moderation, can be good for you. This is a guide about the benefits of using real butter.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here are six reasons to use real butter:
- It contains fat soluble vitamins. Butter is a source of vitamins A, D, K, and E. It's an especially rich source of Vitamin A in the form that is easiest for our bodies to use.
- It helps with the absorption of vitamins and minerals from vegetables. When butter is used in cooking with vegetables, it helps our bodies process and use the water soluble vitamins and minerals found in the vegetables.
- It can be a source of omega-3 fatty acids. This is a great tip for those of you, like me who don't eat as much fish as you'd like. When cows are fed on grass, their butter contains more omega-3s. When cows are fed grains, however the omega-3 levels are greatly reduced. So it's important to buy good quality butter from grass-fed or "pastured" cows.
- Butter helps protect against gastrointestinal infections. This protective function comes from a type of fat in butter called "glycophingolipids". It's been attributed to the reason that children who drink whole milk have lower rates of diarrhea than skim milk drinkers.
- It can help protect against cancer. CLA, another type of fat that is only found in butter from grass-fed cows is attributed to having anti-cancer properties as well as preventing weight gain.
- Butter contains important trace minerals. Butter is also a source of minerals that are required only in tiny quantities by our bodies. These include manganese, zinc, chromium, and iodine. This makes me happy; I love real butter.
Source: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
By Bobbie G from Rockwall
Related Content(article continues below)
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 16, 2017 at 12:04:58 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us