Best Cat Litter for Controlling Odor

Category Cats
Cat litters come in different formulas. Some are better clumpers, some are lightweight, and some control odors well. This is a guide about best cat litter for controlling odor.

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell from our cat litter box? I've tried all kinds of powders and different litters that are suppose to control the odor, but none have worked. Is there a special kind of litter out there that is proven to control both the urine and the poop odors?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Best Answer

You may also want to wash out the entire litter pan periodically to eliminate odors that don't go away with the litter.

Best Answer

I can't stand the smell of a dirty litter box and actually have it in my office so I have a daily reminder to clean it, every morning. I've tried practically every litter out there and we use Freshstep for multiple cats, even though we're down to one cat now.

If I even get a slight whiff that Squirt did his business, I have to rush to the litter box to scoop it up before my dogs get to it.

My sister has one of those electric litter boxes, that cleans itself and she empties it daily and you would never know she had two, older cats.

Back when we had two cats, I would always sprinkle Baking Soda after cleaning and it helped.

I'm home full time now due to a very long, on-going recovery and I can honestly say I very rarely smell my litterbox at all and it's about 6 feet behind where I sit at my desk in a small bedroom that I use as an office.

Another thing I learned from experience, is the litterbox smelled a lot worse when my cats ate canned food, compared to just dry food when they were younger.

I also leave the top off, so it's a constant reminder to me, everytime I walk into my office, to check.

Best Answer

Dr. Elsey's is the best cat litter for odor control. You can get it at Petsmart. I'm not sure if Petco sells it.

What cat litter is the best to remove the cat urine smell?

Best Answer

I've started using 'stall pellets'.....they are wood chips compressed into pellets and have many different brand names. I get them at a farm/feed store, they may be elsewhere as well. They start out as pellets but as the kitty uses the litter box, the pellets break down from the moisture into fine sawdust. The odor control is amazing and the price is very low. These are not for pellet stoves, but made specifically for animals.