Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

I need a good cleaner that will get rid of the dog urine smell from a sofa and my carpet.

By Jen from York, PA

Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

This is going to sound so simple crazy and cheap that it will leave you thinking it can't possibly be true, but it works! Just be sure to test it on a discrete area of the fabric, first.

Our oldest, huge breed dog was so excited to "go for a ride" that we couldn't get him to take care of business before getting into the vehicle. It was a short trip across town for a regular vet visit, but he uncharacteristically lost control and unloaded his bladder all over the carpet in the cargo area of our SUV. I actually felt sorry for my big four legged fur boy as he so knew he'd made a mistake.

Got to goggling and binging on the internet and found an idea that was very inexpensive and couldn't possibly hurt to try: wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol! (Why they make it in a wintergreen scent, I know not, but the disinfectant qualities of rubbing alcohol made me look twice.)

A day after sopping up as much of the urine as we could with rags and paper towels, we doused the entire area with an undiluted, 16 ounce bottle of the scented rubbing alcohol, opened all the windows to let it air out for an hour or so, and by the next morning the urine odor was gone. The Jeep did smell like wintergreen breath freshener mints for a few days, but that was perfectly acceptable, considering the alternative. ;-)

Again, be sure to test this on the fabric before covering the area. You can find wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol next to the regular rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy areas of big box discount stores. Smaller pharmacy's might stock it also. I just happened to find it at Walmart. Good Luck! (11/18/2010)

By KansasCindy

A chihuahua on a white carpet.
Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
orange house cat
Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout