AdviceCrafts

Best Heat Pack Filler

What heat pack filler stays hottest the longest?

By Christiana

I asked the same question months ago and got basically the same responses from many people. They mostly all said to fill a sock with either rice or beans and microwave for I think 30 seconds. Everyone said this would stay hot for at least a couple of hours.

I tried every tip I got. Not a one stayed hot for more than 10-15 minutes.

The best method I found was to go to WalMart (other places carry them too) and get a stick-on pad that gets hot. Those do stay hot for many hours. Some even say 8 hours but have lasted up to and beyond 12 hours for me. They aren't too expensive, although they aren't what I'd call cheap either. But they do work and when you're in the pain I was in at the time, it's worth it. Check it out and try them.

One note however. The ones that say hot and cold, those don't work at all. The one I use the brand starts with a T (can't remember now and I'm out of them) and comes in a red box. I think they run $5-6 for a box of I think 3 or 4.

If you're going to be immobile for a while I'd just use a heating pad. But if you're going to be up and about, these pads are wonderful.

I thought you were supposed to use like field corn, the kind you feed birds, in these, and you microwave it for 3 minutes, or the one made for me says that anyway. 30 seconds won't even get them warm.

I use a mixture of rice and beans and my heat pack always stays warm at least an hour.