General AdviceConsumer Advice

Best Type of Water for a Steam Iron

What type of water are you supposed to use in an iron, spring or distilled?

By A. Dian from Chandler, AZ

The only water one should use with an iron is distilled water. There is only H2O in water and nothing else aka minerals to clog up the holes were steam is released. Spring water and tap water all have natural minerals (and other chemicals - safe for humans though) that will build up over time in the iron, which are extremely to remove, so stay with distilled water. Just think of the coffee pot which we are "supposed" to "clean" with vinegar regularly, which with my hard water has never truly worked.

I have a 5 stage Reverse Osmosis filter for my water which removes all hardness and micro elements in the water and the water it produces. It is so close to distilled water I have had no build up of any minerals since I have used it.

Funny, but I had two irons and each one was different. One said use only tap water while the other said use only distilled water. Weird.

Lol, Sandy, me too. I've had steam irons with warranties that would have been voided if I used distilled water, and others that would have been voided using tap water. I've even had one that wanted an alternating distilled and tap water fill.

It all depends on the maker, and then the model. For example, I had a Black and Decker that I absolutely loved and called for tap water but once a month it wanted a clean cycle with distilled water. I replaced it after many happy years of sewing and family ironing with another model B&D, and that one wanted distilled water 24/7/365-the manual said never-never-never use tap, lol! I'm using a Rowenta bought here in the UK that uses tap for everything including the monthly clean, but my American Rowenta (very different model from the UK one) called for an alternating water fill.

The best thing to do is read the owner manual that came with the iron. If it's gone, Google the manufacturer to find their website, then use their search feature to download a new copy of your specific model manual.

The best type of water for a steam iron is distrilled water. It is hard to imagine that the device is used with the tap water without cleaning for a long time.You had better use the distilled water though some models permit the tap water.