Birthday Ideas

My friend and I were planing to go ice skating, but she found out that she has epilepsy and if she falls she can get hurt. Everything I think of can harm her. She can't swim, see flashing lights, or anything fun. My parents don't even want her to sleep over because they would not be able to live with it if something happened to her. I won't celebrate my birthday without my one and only best friend. What can we do that's safe?

By Olivia S.

Best Answer

Have a talk with her parents, and find out what activities she can take part in. I expect as she becomes more used to living with epilepsy, she will be able to do more things. Perhaps you can do something quite different like take in some live theatre or take part in a craft class. My town is on a river, and there are houseboat rides down the river that are fun; people have BBQ's on the boat and enjoy the views. Investigate other activities that your friend would be able to do that are unique to your town. How about a trip to the zoo?

What about her parents, can you both discuss this with them? They should know what she can safely do and I'm sure they don't want her to stop doing everything. It sounds as if she has only recently been diagnosed, it might get easier as everyone gets used to it. Don't be too hard on your parents, they are scared. You sound like a good friend to have. Sorry I have no better ideas.

Marg from England.

Think of a theme the get cake and make the cake look like the theme. After cake you can have a little party in the house with music or you can go out get your nails done or get a makeover.

Maybe a tea party or spa party but definitely something calm like that.

You've probably already had your birthday. I hope it was fun. I have a daughter who has epilepsy and she's 13. She is able to participate in all the activities you mentioned in your original post but she only has her seizures at night when she goes to bed. She had a couple small seizures at school once but normally we don't have to worry about her day to day activities. She swims, participates in dance, rides roller coasters, sees fireworks, etc.

However, I realize there are many different kinds of epilepsy and my daughter has a mild case compared to others who have seizures daily. If your friend has seizures during the day you could have a party that her parents come to with her and stay during. They can be there in case something happens to her and this way she can still participate in the activities.

I haven't let my daughter have sleep overs with her friends up to this point because her seizures happen at night, so maybe for your friend sleeping over is not in her best interest if your parents do not feel comfortable with handling the situation if she did have a seizure. With her parents present, I don't see why she can't swim or do any other activities you decide to do.

I used to have seizures. That doesn't mean that you can't do anything. Don't be afraid cause I turned out fine.

Anonymous

I have epilepsy too. There is nothing to worry about, just brainstorm your options. Have an outdoor movie so that she is just sitting down and so that there is nothing that will cause here to have a seizure.

Hi Olivia,

As a father of a girl with epilepsy, I am thrilled to see your interest and concern for your friend.

The support of her friends is the best thing you can do for her. The first thing to do is to learn how to take care of her if she has a seizure. For the most part it is really easy, just make sure there is nothing around that can hurt her if she is having convulsions.

There are great sources for how to respond to a seizure.

You are correct, flashing lights can prompt a seizure in some epilepsy victims. But not all. Falling while ice skating can hurt anyone, just be careful and use reasonable safety precautions.

But again, the best thing to do is remain a great friend.

Good Luck

Anonymous

Olivia you are a sweet and kind hearted young lady. I tip my hat to you for being so loyal. My mom had a severe seizure disorder and all she wanted to do was be normal.

Learn about seizures with your friend and enjoy your day. Happy 13th birthday and God bless

Movie night can't hurt can it

What about taking your friend/friends to the cinema? You can watch the movie then after that you could have cake at your house and maybe play a couple of games:)

umm you can go to the movies or the beach

Anonymous

Maybe you guys can go and see a fun movie and get a nice dinner and have your parents tag along just incase

You could do a board game event where they are played the old fashioned way without the use of technology. Clue scrabble trouble uno skipbo yatzee candyland are a few that come to mind

Hey, sorry I'm new to this and if I've clicked the wrong thing please forgive me. I'm turning 13 in 4 months but as my birthday is in the summer I have it a month earlier (july) because everyone is on holiday when my actual birthday is. I live in England and I want to invite 14 friends (plan maybe more maybe less) but unfortunately one of my friends broke her ankle and as it takes 6months to recover she'll be okay in september but that's way after my party! I really want to invite her and make sure she doesn't feel left out, also I'm not a girly girl so I don't like make up and I'm not a total tomboy who HATES girl stuff. Please help thanks.