Birthday Party Invitation Wording

I would like to know what to say on the invitation for an 80th birthday party where only monetary gifts will be accepted.

By Honey from IN

Answers:

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

I don't think it would be proper to word any invitation that way. If nothing else put "no gifts please". If there is a reason that a person can't use other gifts, say for instance they are in a nursing home and don't have room for a lot of stuff, you could suggest things like postage stamps, writing paper, envelopes, etc., or even a box of greeting cards. My former mother-in-law is in a nursing home and that is the type of things that we all send her for different occasions. You could word the invitation something like because the person is in a nursing home and doesn't have a lot of room, they can always use the following things that don't take up a lot of room. (04/23/2010)

By redhatterb

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

Nothing, I really had difficulty with your wording that "only monetary gifts will be accepted". If you are dead set on asking for money say there will be a money tree that guests are welcome to "add a leaf" to, if they would like. (04/23/2010)

By EGGZ

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

Where are manners today? Yes, it is rude to ask for money no matter what. You could ask that guests not bring gifts or donate toward a special charity, but to ask for money is still tacky in this day and age.

Is the birthday person planning a trip? You could ask that friends donate items to use on his trip. If the person is in real financial problems due to medical bills you could have a fund raiser, but please don't cheapen a birthday party by asking friends to give money. (04/23/2010)

By yoder178

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

You should accept any gift offered, and do it with graciousness. My goodness! I agree with the other replies, the only other option is to specify a charity "in lieu of gifts please donate to.....". My policy is to always act extremely grateful and appreciative of anything offered, and if I don't like it or can't use it I just donate to a charity thrift store. But never let a person offering to give you a gift feel bad about what they want to give you. Every time I visit my elderly parents they load me up with things from around their house that they want me to have. And every time, I act like what they are giving me is the greatest thing I have ever received. It makes them so happy. (04/24/2010)

By PainterLee

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

Sorry to just chime in on what everyone else said, but the phrase "only monetary gifts will be accepted" sounds incredibly rude. Think about it: how would it feel to tell someone face to face who brings another type of gift to just take it back home, we don't want that? If you don't want gifts other than money, the only gracious thing to say is "no gifts, please". Period. (04/24/2010)

By ChloeA

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

I suppose you could say something like this, "In lieu of gifts and due to the advanced brown thumb condition of our father (or friend or ?), please just fertilize his ailing money tree and help it to grow."

Then get a nice big branch, and add colorful clothespins on the table where it's to rest. You can start the "leafing out" of that ailing tree by adding as many as you can manage of your own dollar bills.

Other than something "comical", I can think of absolutely no way to handle such a request, and hopefully, everyone invited is a good friend or family member who will understand completely.

Wishing you the best, and happy birthday to the birthday guy or gal. Quite an accomplishment to reach the age of 80. We should all be so lucky!

Julia in Boca Raton, FL (04/24/2010)

By PookaRina

Birthday Party Invitation Wording

I agree with the other posters here. What you would have to put on the invitation would be "greedy". Don't do it. (04/25/2010)

By Marfette

Blank Invitation surrounded by ribbons on confetti
Birthday Party Invitation Wording
Bridal Shower Invitation
Wording for a Bridal Shower Invitation
Couple Going to Prom
Saying Yes to a Prom Invitation
Golden Birthday Invitation
Golden Birthday Invitation Ideas
Wedding Vow Renewal
Wedding Vow Renewal Invitation Wording Ideas
🎉
🎄