We have black mold growing in the fridge and toilets. One morning last week we woke up with black filled nostrils and we were spitting black. We haven't run the air or heat in like 4-5 weeks, and we can't find an explanation for this. We have noticed that a black smoke/film is showing up on all our surfaces/plates etc. Any suggestions? Our leasing management company have told us the vents are clean, and there's nothing they can do. Please help.
Meredith from Azle
I believe the mold you are describing, is a toxic mold that can do a lot of damage to your entire family's health. I'm not sure about the black mold in the refrigerators. That mold can be removed by using a strong bleach solution. It may take a few applications, but it should remove it. The toxic mold I'm talking about could very well be inside your walls because you are mentioning a "black smoke/film" on surfaces and it actually being in your noses and mouth.
The source area could be your bathroom as you state there is black mold around your toilet. Toxic mold is like all molds, it needs moisture. My husband is a retired maintenance supervisor for apartment complexes and has dealt with toxic mold. He had to call in professionals to remove it. As I don't know where you live, I cannot tell you who to contact, but I would definitely start making calls regarding it and tell your leasing company you want them to check out your bathroom thoroughly.
Bleach will kill molds, but it's not really effective against toxic mold. On several occasions, the tenants had to move out while the apartment was being worked on. The leasing company, although they say your vents are clean, should be calling in someone to check your bathroom. Toxic mold can be inside walls, subsurfaces of floors, under sink cabinets, behind shower surrounds, just about anywhere where there is a probability of moisture. You need to get on this right away. (11/17/2007)
This is a serious problem, if your rental company says they can do nothing, you need to call your Board of Health to do a inspection of your apt. Please do this right away, your health is in jeopardy. (11/19/2007)
I have a GE Monogram 36 inch fridge that had black mold problem. I have had repairmen out on several occasions and have been told that I was crazy until today. Turns out that there is a design defect in this unit that requires a change in the fan function. The original design had the fan running constantly, even when the condenser is not running. That apparently causes a very humid condition in the fridge. So, the fan has to be rewired to only run when the condenser is running, thus eliminating the problem. The GE repairman did this today. Hopefully, eliminating this problem. (12/26/2007)
People. Please do not try to get rid of mold using bleach! It does not work. All this will do is seem to make it "go away", but as soon as whatever comes into contact with water, moisture of any kind or form it will grow back I promise. My wife and I had to flee our home due to a moldy refrigerator that was sold to us by Lowe's home improvement warehouse as a new model and in fact it turned out to be a returned used model. A year later and an entirely mold filled home, along with everything we own, Lowe's still wont admit it was their fault and we had to hire an attorney (yes it was their fault the home was new.)
How to remove Black mold? Answer: Take 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water mix both of them. Take a piece of cloth dip it into the solution and clean your refrigerator. Repeat this procedure every fort night or after a month.
Regards, Vijay (10/05/2008)
By Vijay Rumao
Update: I too was given the run around by GE. I actually called into Customer Relations and the person I spoke to claimed they had never heard of such a thing either. They offered me a coupon or a tech visit (which I would have to pay for). I spent several hours chasing several different options, but I'll make a very long story short here. I finally called our local GE repair facility because I obviously need to get it fixed and needed to know what the problem was. When the tech showed up I showed him my mold. He said I definitely have a temperature issue. I asked him if he had every seen anything like it and he said of course he has. Not necessarily in this model, but he knew right away it was a temp issue.
Turns out we have a bad motherboard in the unit. Furthermore, GE has an extended warranty on the motherboard, so they know it's an issue. I've also seen some other postings that mention bad motherboards in GE products. I am just floored that when I called in they did not mention that there are extended warranties on this item and that may be causing the issue. Instead they treat you like you're an idiot and leave you in the dark.
My tech pointed out that the fan would run all of the time because it's trying to cool the fridge, but since the motherboard is bad and the cooling not working properly it didn't matter. I'm not ruling out the fan issue yet and I'll keep an eye on that as it may be a dual issue.
So if you have this issue and you're out of warranty you may be in luck and will just have to pay for the service call. Just make sure if they do replace the motherboard that you ask to see if it's covered under this extended warranty. I had to pay $100 for the tech visit, but not the part. I noticed a difference in 10 minutes. For the first time in 2 years, I actually have a cold fridge.
And no, GE does not post their extended warranty items anywhere. They should, but they don't. Hence you have no way of knowing unless you get an honest tech out to take a look. (06/17/2009)
I have finally had my mold problem fixed. It has been 2 months and I have not had mold. The technician fixed the fan so it would not run all of the time. He was finally able to get a suggestion from GE. No guarantee, no knowledge of a problem with the fridge, just a "try this". It has worked. Good luck with your problem. I do think we should take action against GE. This is crazy! (09/04/2009)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!