Black Soot on Walls

How do you get soot from ceilings and walls off after a kitchen grease fire? I have tried the commercial cleaner with no luck, and also tried Mr. Clean and ammonia. Please help.

By Susan from Hamilton, ON

Answers:

Black Soot on Walls

I would wash the walls and ceiling with TSP, which is available in hardware stores, then paint the walls and ceiling. (03/25/2009)

By foxrun41

Black Soot on Walls

I'm commenting on 2 different people's questions here. If the black marks are from a fire, try making a paste of baking soda and water. Use a soft washcloth to clean it off.

I agree with the person who said the candles burning may be covering up the smell of mold. I go to a lot of estate sales, so I've been in lots of people's homes. You'd be surprised by the number of people who have problems with mold. Make sure there is good drainage around your house to prevent mold. Never buy a house with a mold problem. There may be mold in the walls and other areas you can't clean. Bleach kills mold. (03/27/2009)

By Scooter 2

cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
Photo of the exterior of a house.
Finding the Source of Black Soot in a House
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎉
🎄